I think my 6 month old has a fever, should I wake him?

My baby's eyes didn't look right this morning. It didn't dawn on me that he might not feel good. He did sleep from 9:30 last night until 8 this morning, ate, then went back to sleep until 12. He ate again and is now back asleep. I kissed him when I laid him down and his head felt warm. Should I wake him up to take his temperature or just let him sleep and then take it when he wakes up?

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 5:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Remember that taking it under his arm or in his ear is not the most accurate...but it will give you an idea. If he's really hot then wake him up and take his temp. Otherwise let him sleep and take it when he wakes up. Use your judgement.

Are you nursing? If so then your milk will help him fight off whatever is making him sick. If his temperature goes above 102 then call the doctor. If it reaches 104 then take him to the ER. Otherwise his body will fight it off if you give him plenty of fluids and rest.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Can you take it under his arm pit or in the ear? If so take one while hes asleep.

Answer by gemgem at 5:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I don't have an ear thermometer and I was going to take it under his armpit but would have to unbutton his pajamas, which would wake him up. He doesn't feel like he's on fire but warm. It's been so long since my last one was little I don't know how high is too high lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• No, I'm not nursing. I was wondering though, if it's an infant can I let him have a low-grade temp? Or, do I have to bring it down? I know the rules for toddlers but not sure if it applies.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• usually anything over 99.5 i give my son some tylenol or since your son is 6 months you could give him some motrin....but good luck...oh and i wouldn't wake him like the pp said unless he felt hot.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thank you!!!!
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Let him sleep. that's the BEST thing for the baby right now. You can take his temp when he wakes up. Babies need sleep just like we do to get over sickness.
    Anonymous

• Don't go by his head....feel his cheeks and hands. If those are warm, keep an eye on him and take his temp the next time he wakes up. (check him every so often while sleeping and if he gets warmer wake him, take the temp and give him Tylenol if appropriate. Keep in mind what your pediatrician's guidelines are for fevers....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• This is so sad b/c I work for a children's hospital lol. But, I work in cardiology (in my defense) and I'm not at work to talk to one of the docs I work for so I'm all lost :(

I'm glad other mommies are on here to help me. Thanks everyone. I'll let him sleep and then take it when he wakes up.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009