hi what can i do

i have a 14 month old son who wont sit still for anything i want to start him with crayons and paint but he wont stay still in one spot to do that what can i do

nikkicorbett

Asked by nikkicorbett at 5:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He might not be ready for it. Maybe in a few months to a year he'll be willing to sit and scribble. Hold off for now and try again in a month or two.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I have a two year old son that does the same thing. He has a three yeart old sister that likes to color. So i sit them down and let them color and if he gets up he does. Just sit him down and let him color and if he gets up let him. I sit my son on my lap and that seems to work. I hope i could help and if that don't work wait a couple months and do it again.
    heatherplanck

Answer by heatherplanck at 6:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• He may not be ready yet. They are still exploring what's around them. And even when I worked with 3 to 4 year olds as a preschool teacher, their attention span on any kind of art project was 5 minutes on average. If longer, then that particular child has more of an attention span and interest in those types of things. Some kids would play certain activities longer than others....just like adults. We all have our favorite things to do!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My son didn't start really scribbling until he was almost 18 months old. Now at 2 ANY surface is fair game for a crayon.

eye rolling  Don't worry about it right now.  He'll eventually "get" how fun coloring is, especially if you buy yourself a coloring book and make it a "mommy and me" activity.  It may take a few more months, though.

cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Crayola has some great products out there for beginners. They have some crayons shaped like eggs (they're plastic with a crayon tip). You could try putting him in his high chair, tape some paper to the tray, and give him one of the crayons. Don't worry if he's not terribly interested right now. Just keep giving him opportunities to try.

What he would probably really love is if you put some pudding on his tray and let him finger paint. Definitely messy but definitely fun!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009