nursing while sick

I'm nursing and I've been sick with a cough and cold since Christmas. I can tell it bugs my dd a bit, but figured that breast milk is still better for her than formula- but today my breast feeding nazi MIL told me I ought to use formula when I'm sick so my dd will feel better. Should I switch and just pump?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO!!! Your breastmilk has antibodies for your cold. You're giving those antibodies to your daughter. That's very important for her immune system.

When I was nursing my daughter everyone in the house came down with a bad virus. She was the ONLY ONE who wasn't throwing up. Why? I believe it was because she was nursing.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• NO!!!!! you breast feeding her will help give her the enzymes(lack of a better word) she needs to help keep her from getting what you have or if she gets it, it will help her fight it!! Keep on Breast feeding!!!
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If you have a cold since christmas, then its probably a little more than just a regular cold. And as much as you wont like it, but i agree with your mother in law. If you really are sick then you should switch to formula until you feel better. But since you kept breastfeeding it wont change anything now.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i agree with the last post. Your cold isn't just simple cold if it lasts since Christmas. You ought to see the doctor not stop breast feeding!
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I usually have colds that last this long. Ever since I was a kid.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding is the BEST thing you can do for yourself and your child when either of you is sick.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• **If you have a cold since christmas, then its probably a little more than just a regular cold. And as much as you wont like it, but i agree with your mother in law. If you really are sick then you should switch to formula until you feel better. But since you kept breastfeeding it wont change anything now.**

This is the worse advise I've ever seen. Apparantly you aren't very educated about breastfeeding. The baby is getting mom's antibodies from the breastmilk which will help the baby keep from getting ill. I have breastfeed 4 babies over the last 8 years. I know these things. Please do not try to discourage people from nursing if you are not educated on the matter. For more information on nursing while sick visit the following link.
    http://kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 7:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• m.robertson is only correct in one thing...an illness this long is more than a cold. See your doc about that.

All the rest? Sorry, dead wrong. When you're sick is the BEST time to be nursing for the baby. No need for formula here.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009