rice milk in rice cereal?

I know you shouldn't use cow's milk until the age of 1, but has anyone used rice milk in rice cereal for a 6 MO? Is that okay since it's not a full bottle of it, just a bit for cereal-or is it bad for a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula or breast milk is speical formulated for infant 0-12 months. You shouldn't subtitute it with any form of milk product. Rice milk contains much less nutrition value for your infant child than other baby formula and Breast milk, soy formula shouldn't be used without doctor order! Soy contains soy protein and some of them aren't good for infant and young children. ( if there is not a special reason to use it, don't use it on young children)
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well a lot of people just use water and wouldn't rice milk be more nutritious than water? My dd is allergy to milk and the formula for it is so expensive and I don't pump, so I don't know what else to add to the cereal.
    Anonymous

• How about skipping the cereal altogether and going to fresh mashed foods. Banana is great. So is avocado. Mash, serve. Much more nutritious than rice cereal, which is best used for sticking wallpaper to your walls.

I'd be leery of rice milk because of sweeteners.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• are you breastfeeding? can you manually express some milk? did the hospital give you a hand pump when you were there? if not, I would do what the other poster said and go with a banana or avocado. but if you want to do rice cereal, maybe just use water and mix in banana?
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I've heard you need to keep rice cereal in the child's diet because of the iron. In fact both books I've read on feeding babies solids suggest to always keep cereal in their diet until they are 1. So you're right to start with cereal. Ask your dr. about the rice milk, if not get a hand pump or something for your milk.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Julipickle... many parents opt to skip the rice cereal because the nutrients and iron in it are PUT THERE. These parents feed their child foods that are naturally rich in iron. (not being snarky, just trying to explain).
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2009