My son wants to be a doctor...

He's almost 8 and is totally facinated by the human body. I know this is just a phase (like his wanting to be a repair man, firefighter, and police officer). However I want to take advantage of it and teach him stuff about the human body.

My sister bought him a take apart body (the type you see in science classrooms) for the holidays. He takes out books on physiology (age appropriate ofcourse) from the library. He constantly draws pictures of organs (they look good to) or blood vessels, or skeletons...etc.

My question is...is there anything more I can do to foster this interest? Any ideas would be appreciated.

amethystrse

Asked by amethystrse at 6:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Actually, my 8 year old watches a lot of Discovery Health, and her favorite are live surgeries. (knee reconstructions, etc.) She's fascinated.
    Check in your area for a good science museum. Some are designed for kids and have a lot of hands on activities.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Try and find kid friendly shows on it. :) I know I watch Discovery health ALL the time, but that wouldn't be appropriate for a 8 yr old.. Maybe if you know anyone in the medical field like a nurse or something let him ask them questions, or next time he goes to the pediatrician or doctors let him ask questions. :)
    That would be awesome if your son ended up being a doctor someday!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• We have a book called "Why? Why? Why?"

It has some great info on anatomy and various other science areas. My 4 year old LOVES this book.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• That is great! Let him have fun with it...follow his lead! The museum idea is great, too. I remember as a kid going on a field trip to one where you walked through a model of the human heart and we all loved that!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2009