My 17 year old son and his "gf"?

My 17 year old son "Travis" has been seeing this girl for like almost an year he met on myspace, they talked on the phone for hours at a time and he never brought her around us until last night. He invited "Mary" to dinner well I was exspecting something totally... "Shes black", my husband said. I am opened minded but he could have warned us besides they have been talking for a year and I had no idea that she was black, not saying that that was any problem but I didnt know my son was in to that type of stuff.. Should I let him be a teenager because he might of be going through some type of stage in his life, he will grow out of it right???? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• 17 really isn't that young. I met my hubby when I was 16. And just because he likes her because she's black doesn't mean he's into "that kind of stuff" I don't know what thats supposed to mean. But try and be open minded about it. Get to know her. Obviously there is something about her your son likes!! :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• What do you mean " That type of stuff"? As for you thinking he's going through a phase he'll grow out of, I sure hope he doesn't. Why would you want him to? He's dating a black girl. That shows he isn't racist. Good for him! You shouldn't do anything. leave it alone. If he is happy, you should be happy.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Why do you feel that this is an issue? Why do you feel the need to "do something about it"? So what she is black, you yourself said that you were open minded, if that is the case then you should judge her on who she is and not what she is. Do you not have faith and trust in your son? Sorry but it sounds prejudice to me. Maybe I am just understanding the problem.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 6:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry but I don't see the problem. There's nothing wrong with people dating people whose skin is a different color. He obviously sees something in her other than her skin color. Perhaps he's like I am and just sees skin color the same way he sees hair color or eye color. just another characteristic.

If she's a nice person and is good to him (and vice versa) then I advise that you support him on it. Getting upset about it might put an unnecessary strain on your relationship with your son.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i think it's great that he can see her for who she is but in our house we don't let our children date anyone exclusively cause we feel they are to young to think they know best when they haven't dated enough to know better. also that is the advice of our church. since i agree totally. my kids don't date yet but my oldest will be 17 but he is girl shy so he dates them but for short periods of time. i would be concerned about the amount of time or length of time they have dated rather the type of her skin. my youngest boy had a liking to a girl at school in our neighborhood that was black. she was pretty but shy. i think my youngest lies when he says he isn't more then just a friend.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• meant to mention that like you i was shocked too cause i myself have never dated a black guy. so i know how you feel.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• that type of stuff???
    She's a person. If your son is happy than you should be happy for him. And also proud because he obviously doesn't see race at all or he would of brought it up to you before. Also doubly proud because he believes you to be just as color blind, which is a good thing.
    Kimeley

Answer by Kimeley at 8:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The kids today don't think anything of interracial dating....
    Anonymous

• personally i think interracial relationships are gross... so not meant to be. we are suppose to be with our own color if you would say
    Anonymous

• you should do what you feel is right. but remember he is 17 and experimenting is what they do at that age. Try to get to know her see past her color you might grow to like her.
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009