What is the most economical cord blood banking bank!

All the cord blood banks I know of seem to be only for the rich and we need to do this to help a child but we do not have money. Please help us. Let me have info NOW.

peele

Asked by peele at 6:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Check with your local blood bank. They will often take cord blood donations at no cost. Bear in mind that you won't be banking for YOUR CHILD specifically as with a private bank. The cord blood would be available to anyone who could possibly benefit from it.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• most banks are very sky high in price i haven't found one that isn't at all good luck in your search hope all works out for you
    Anonymous

• A labor nurse told me not to do the cord blood banking. She said it is a complete waste of money and the agencies that do it aren't as thorough as they need to be. Good luck!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thanks for all your responses. I would like to report that I have found a bank. They will bank the blood for FREE only because they generally do this for everyone, if the blood to be banked is going to be used fto benefit a sibling. This program is called the "Sibling Connection". We are eligible for it because this is our reason for the cord blood banking. FYI, the agency which handles this program is ViaCord. Check them on the Web.
    peele

Answer by peele at 8:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Here is a list of all cord blood banks - http://parentsguidecordblood.org/content/usa/banklists/summary.shtml. They are all similarly priced and are all running price specials. My two cents here (I have masters in public health) -- go with one that is accredited by both the AABB and the FACT. Also look at the number of transplants -- this tells you that the bank is actually trying to fight disease and not just taking your money.
    Anonymous

• Here is what StemCyte says on their website:
    Our Guarantee

If your child, your child's sibling or biological parent should need the donated stem cells for appropriate medical indications, we will provide the cord blood unit free of charge to you. If your donation has already been used for transplantation, StemCyte will try to obtain and make available the next most compatible unit in our inventory, provided it is acceptable to the transplant physician, also free of charge to you.

You can't beat that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Hi, I am not sure about most economical. But, we banked our baby's cord blood with the Cord Blood Registry and know that if you mention discount code M5470, you will receive $250 discount off the fee. They also offer several different payment plans (interest free and interest ones, depending on the length of time that you want to split the payment up). checkout www.thecordbloodregistrymom.com for more information on banking, CBR, and the discount.
    marukagmb

Answer by marukagmb at 9:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2009