• In the Spotlight:

baby last name...

My baby father and I have been broken up since I was like 5 weeks pregnant when I first told him I waskeping it. I am now 6 months he has never been there no call, no visit, no nothing not even a post card or even a telegram. I dont even think he still knows I am pregnant wow huh?? I have been going on with this pregnancy for 6 long months and no support from him but I get support from family and friends, but its nothing like that support from the father, but oh well.. You live and learn. So people have been asking me what will the baby's last name be and I really dont know if I should name him after his so called "father" or name him after me.... I mean I know it is a tradition to name the child after his father to keep the name going but what bout if I dont want to give him that much credit because he didnt deserve it and he is no father atleast that what he show me.. What shall i do?

pregnproud88

Asked by pregnproud88 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally wouldn't give the baby's last name the same as his father's if his father doesn't want to be in the picture. There's nothing wrong with giving the baby your name instead. Lots of single mothers do that. And if the father ever does get back in the picture then you can always have it changed if you want. *shrugs*
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think it's a personal decision that you should sit down and think long and hard about. Sounds to me like you already made up your mind. I see nothing wrong with either name you choose to give him.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My Mother gave my younger brother her last name. Her boyfriend packed up and left as soon as she found out she was pregnant. He did come back around to see that his name got put on the birth certificate... in the end, though, my mother married my stepfather and my brother's real dad signed his rights over to my stepdad to legally adopt him. And now my brother has my stepdad's last name and a brand new birth certificate. =)
    Personally, I say let your child have your name. He is YOURS.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• the baby deserves your last name :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• its ur choice my BBF was in a similiar situation and she used her own last name... cause she didnt want him to be confused when he got older and had a different last name...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Give the baby your last name. I think he's made himself clear..deadbeat. (sorry)
    Mickey37

Answer by Mickey37 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i can not say this enough to single mommies i will tell you the same thing my first ob told me over 5yrs ago when i was pregnant with my first what ever you do .. do not give that baby his place name or put him on the birth certificate if you do he can come and take that baby from you and then you would have to go to court and fight to get back
    Anonymous

• My husband Ryans' mama named him after her... and she was even with the father at the time. However they weren't married... and so she said she didn't want him growing up with a different last name than her if they were to break up. Well when he was 6 months old they split, and he had nothing to do with Ryan anymore. So in the long run what she did was best. Also, later on down the road when you do get married you can change both your names to match your husbands = ) My mother remarried after my father died and she asked me if I wanted to have my name changed to match theres but I chose not to. Either way, name the baby after you.... he isn't there so don't give him that pleasure! Keep your own familys name going.
    AVKeel

Answer by AVKeel at 7:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Give the baby your last name.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If he is not going to be part of the baby's life (and so far it is looking like he isn't) then I would give my baby my name.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009