Parents of autism...

What were the first signs of your little one having autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• With my daughter... she never spoke to us. She would say a word or two but not to us. She would just walk around saying it. She was very repetitive and would walk aroundi n patterns instead of playing. She hardly looked at us and didn't like to make eye contact. When she was 2 we had her tested and she was diagnosed with PDD. Our son didn't show signs until he was in kindergarden. He's also diagnosed PDD.

Early intervention helped our daughter tremendously. She was rediagnosed and how they say she's not autistic at all but rather has a developmental delay.

If you think your child is showing signs then please get him/her evaluated asap.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I have a 6 year old son with autism and a 9 year old with aspergers (another form of autism). I noticed by 3 that my sons wouldnt talk, wouldnt make eye contact, would line up his toys, not play with toys or play with none toy items like socks. Sometimes the child will echo what you say and flap or pace in repeditive manner this is called stimming. If you have any more questions please send me a message in my inbox and I will be happy to answer them.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 10:23 AM on Jan. 19, 2009