What are ways of easing an ear-ache?

My daughter is 5 years old. She had her tonsils and adenoids removed last month. This morning she said that her right ear was hurting. I took a look at it but it's not red or anything. I gave her some motrin throughout the day and I've had her hold a warm washcloth to her ear. I can't get her into the doctors until Monday or Tuesday and it's not bad enough to take her out to the ER. What are some other ways of helping to ease the pain for her?

lvns2my1

Asked by lvns2my1 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My kids have ear ache's all the time.  Now, they have tubes in their ears, but before then I ended up getting ear drops to relieve the pain for them.  I know it doesn't help you now, but when you are at the doc's ask for some.  It's nice to have on hand at the house, especially on Friday and Saturday's when the office's are closed, and there is no fever or anything.          Tylenol, or Ibuprofen helps too.  I would give my kids the normal dose of Tylenol, and then two hours later givethem the normal dose of Motrin, or Advil.  If it was the four hour kind.  If it's the eight hour kind, then I would give one dose of one, and then four hours later, a dose of the other.  It's doc approved, btw, and better than overdosing on one kind of medicine.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 7:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• pour warm olive oil in her ear
    Anonymous

• I would do a cool washcloth because when kid have ear infections they lay their ear on the kitchen floor usually (because its cool) other than that I don't konw =\ But they are no fun! Hopefully you figure something out
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• take a cotton ball and put alcohol on it and ring it all out and then put the cotton ball on her ear... it will make it go away
    Anonymous

• Ever hear of a "salt sock"? My Mom used to do this for us...heat up some regular salt in a pan or microwave, put it in a clean sock, tie a knot. Let her hold it up to her ear, it used to always ease the pain.

Another thing my MIL used to swear by was a couple drops of warm milk in her ear. I know it sounds crazy, but she said it worked!

Hope she feels better, I know they're not fun.
    Mylovngheart

Answer by Mylovngheart at 8:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• set your hairdryer on low heat and gently blow the air into her ear. Sounds weird but it eases the pain.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the help ladies! I'll have to try a few... That 'salt sock' idea sounds good. She does pretty good with holding things to her ear, but hates having anything put in them. I'll have to try that!

We're off to bed now. So, I'll heat some up in the microwave and let you know the turn out of it tomorrow. Thanks!!!
    lvns2my1

Answer by lvns2my1 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I put collidial silver in my sons ear when he had an ear infection - it's a natural antibodic.

Here is some other information -
    my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2009