Advice on having more children?

Hi, I am 24 I have one child he is 3 but I have been thinking about having more children. like 1 or 3 more. My question is does anyone have advice on how to come to a decision? I was an only child and I hated it I just dont want him to go through life alone but I can't afford and I dont really want a big gap in the ages. I dont know what to do

goingnuts22

Asked by goingnuts22 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I had two children. I wanted them both to have playmates and have someone to fall back on if something ever happend to me and my DH. They are 2 1/2 yrs apart and it has worked great. Here is a few reasons why I only had two children.

**See Below** :-)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• 2 KIDS Because:

I like even numbers.
    I didn't want a 3rd kid to be left out at amusement parks on two seater rides.
    I didn't want to buy a mini van
    I have two arms and could only snatch two kids at a time
    I wanted them to always have a buddy and a 3rd kid would be a wrench in the wheel
    I wanted to be able to find a baby sitter and 3 kids just scare some people
    I wanted to use bunkbeds
    I wanted my kids to grow up and play ping pong together, no room for a 3rd player
    I can only say two names really fast when really mad and in a hurry
    I wanted to take advantage of the buy one get one free sales without a 3rd kid being shoeless

Should I go on? Or is this enough? :-) lol
    Southerncharmes

• The difference between wanting 1 or 3 more kids is a big difference,I have three kids. My son was 3 1/2yo when oldest daughter was born,she was 4 1/2 when my youngest daughter was born. Unless I had multiples which I didn't, I did not want more than one child in diapers anytime. That was how I timed when to start trying again. I wanted to enjoy each baby's infancy and toddlerhood before their competition came. We didn't make a lot of money just comfotable. My husband was in the military when my son was born,graduate school when my first daughter was born, employed full time when our youngest was born. Before you try try 4another what do u think u can handle. More than one in diapers and cribs? More than one in preschool same time? An older one in daycare & newborn? As long as you have an income and your partner(?) can help you I'd say let those questions and similar ones guide you.
    Anonymous

• The big question for me is if they would have the same dad--you didn't mention if you were married and how your husband felt about it. If the first dad is not in the pict--I would concentrate on the child you have and not bring another one into a single parent family on purpose.
    Anonymous

• I typo'd somethings. I meant 1 or 2 more children but probably just one, they would have the same dad because we are still together. I am just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and have another one while I'm getting my degree before my son is much older and so my son would have a companion because he doesn't really play with other children and I dont know a lot of people who still have their children. My biggest thing is I don't want him to be alone and I would like him to know how to be able to deal with people. I only had my cousins when I was growing up and sometimes they would gang up on me because they were all siblings, I just dont want him to go through that. I dont know
    goingnuts22

Answer by goingnuts22 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2009