Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is what the lawyer replied threw my email, what do you all think?

You certainly can press charges against her fraudulent use if identifying information. Suing her is also an option under fraud. The question is whether you want to spend money to probably not collect anything from her.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (7)
  • So what should I tell him?
    sorry for all the questions its because my family doesnt want to help and I really need advice in this before it gets any worse.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • At least he is honest. You could press charges w/o a lawyer (I think), and you can sue in small claims w/o a lawyer too. He or she makes a point--you may not get back anything. If she is stealing $ does she have any to repay you? If you want to make things right based on principal then go for it w/o a lawyer and see how far you can get.


    Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • Yopu can press charges and have her punished by law, but if the lawyer thinks you won't get anything back, you probably won't. However if will clear your name and will go a long way in your fight with the credit companies.

    Answer by pagan_mama at 7:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • I would pres criminal charages and let it go at that. You can't get blood from a they say. You need to actively clear your name. Contact all three credit agencies and place a fraud alert.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • What he's saying is you can press charges for what she did. You can also sue her, but is it worth it? You'll spend all that money to sue, get a judgment against her, but in all probability, never see the money. So, you spent money, got "justice" but did it really help in the end? If you press charges, she would get a trial, if she did it and left a trail of evidence, they'll convict and she'll have a criminal record. That would be more effective. That would give a history she can't avoid or ignore, like she could the judgment. Press charges, but don't waste your time/money suing.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 8:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • You can sue her, but I agree you won't see the money... but pressing charges you can definately do, and then other than being a witness to the prosecution you really won't have to be involved. However I suggest also pressing charging against the company that allowed this to happen. AND I would suggest trying to sue them so they take the bad credit off of your credit.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • Go to a prosecutor. These are criminal charges on the federal level. If nothing else, teach her a lesson with her carelessness.

    Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.