My daughter's downstairs bits smells like fish. adult content

My daughter just turned 7 in January. Starting Friday, she has had this really bad fishy smell to her. It literally stank up the whole house. What is going on? I am going to make an appointment for her for tomorrow. I thought maybe she wasn't wiping herself good, and I made sure that on Saturday I washed her up extremely good down there. By the end of the day, the smell was there again. What could be causing this? I tried to Google it a bit and read somewhere that it was due to the early onset of puberty. I'm deathly afraid that my 7 year old will have a period. I can't have that for her. First of all, she's a little girl who -- well, if she could be dirty all day, she would. I'm very scared about this. I want her to enjoy her childhood without having to worry about such things yet. Ugh

Mommamys

Asked by Mommamys at 6:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Taking her to the doctor is a good idea. As for puberty.....can't hold that back no matter how much you want to. Puberty can take a few months to a few years to get to the point of her period starting. Start getting her informed now little by little, so when it does happen it will be natural for her instead of scary. Also, try changing the soap that is used when she bathes.
    MommyMunch

Answer by MommyMunch at 6:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• This article has some good information for you. I would take her to the doctor because it is more than likely a bacterial infection.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86309-causes-vaginal-odor-children/

amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• Hopefully that isn't the case, but it is happening earlier and earlier. In my nieces 4th grade class (mostly 9 year olds), 5 kids have now started their periods.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• Thank you all. I read the article and it shed some light. I will make sure I report back after the doctor's appointment.
    Mommamys

Comment by Mommamys (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• Good luck, i wouldnt think it is a puberty thing, as that isnt a sign of puberty. I would think more towards infection of some sort. Let us know what happens.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2012

• I would make her a Dr.s appointment. I hope everything is ok.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• The first thing I think for a girl so young is bacterial infection- mostly likely from not understanding that she needs to wipe front to back not back to front.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2012