What to do about severe coughing?

My 8 yr old daughter is having severe coughing fits the past 3 days, I give her cough medicine yet noting helps, it gets so bad she can't breathe and she turned purple once. Its making her throw up and wheeze a lot. Not sure if this will pass or I need to take her to the ER or doctor. Its really worryaome.

TwistedMama27

Asked by TwistedMama27 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take her in to the doctor. Whooping cough is going on around here. If it is making her throw up and wheeze I would definitely have it looked at.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• I agree with Jamie. I would rule out whooping cough, there have been some bad cases going around. I would also use vicks vapor rub. Put alot of it on the chest and sides of the neck. If you have a vaporizer, use that in her room as well. You can get liquid vapor mist for them which could also be beneficial. Poor baby. It is so hard to see our kids sick. Good Luck...
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• Is she running a fever? Any other symptoms but the cough?

Have you tried having her sit in a steam filled bathroom? That might help, along with a vaporizer in her room. You do need to have her seen by your medical provider but this should help her get through the night until you can get in tomorrow.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• No fever, but runny nose, wheezing, and very sharp coughs. The whooping cough is supposed to be preventable sure to the shots she got as a child, ill be taking her in the morning.
    TwistedMama27

Comment by TwistedMama27 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• Agreed on the vaccination, although a booster is recommended at age 10. Pertussis tends to cluster so I'm leaning more toward some sort of bronchial spasm/illness like croup or bronchitis. Anyway, good luck to you both and I hope she feels better very soon!
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2012

• If she is turning purple, I'd get her to the ER ASAP
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2012

• If she is wheezing, she needs medical attention

Answer by rkoloms at 2:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• I just took my son to his doctor today. For the last 2 nights he was up coughing, slight fever, and actually vomited. My son has a sinus infection. Not sure if this is what your daughter may have, but the coughing especially at night was unbelievable. He is now on an antibiotic-which is greatly helping.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• Yes I would definitely bring her to either to her Dr. Or the er.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2012