"WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."

OK so my hubby found this article and I would like to call BS on this.
The Congressman is trying to say that playing video games is directly responsible for violent behavior. I think that parents have a roll to play in making sure that their children know the difference in fact and fiction and that oh IDK maybe they should just not let little Jimmy that is 6 play GTA or Metal of Honor. I mean if your kid is already showing signs of aggression WHY would you buy them a game that only made it worse? I think that placing the blame on someone else is becoming a growing trend in our country, and there is just no accountability anymore. Just blame someone or something else.

CorCorsmomma

Asked by CorCorsmomma at 7:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• exactly but lots of parents are gone and when the father has these games it seems they are the ones that feel they are ok. i have always asked my children what the games are rated and i also take into account their maturity. i also try to make sure that they don't play these games outside at other peoples homes. i had a neighbor ask my son would your mother let you play this game and he was honest and said probably not. she made an effort to tell me so. so i'm proud to say that i'm doing something right. i think the government should do something cause if the parents aren't going to then who? i agree they are harmful that is why our church always tells us to be watchful of what our children takes in.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 7:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I 100% agree. There needs to be more accountability and it needs to start at home!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I hope the government does get involved in this one, because there is very little accountability at home anymore. Hello, the parents are playing these games while their toddlers are in the same room. Go to relationships and read how many complaints women have about their men videogaming all the time, it's as frequent as porn on the internet questions, and this IS cafeMOM.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• There is an age range where the child does not have the ability to distinguish between reality and fiction. Even watching cartoons....if they are of a violent nature, although we might laugh at it, a child watching doesn't have the ability to realize that when that action is on a person, that person won't just pop up and run away still.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I agree with the article. Violent video games desensitizes people to violence. Especially younger impressionable kids who play them over and over for hours and hours. Yes, the responsibility should be on the parents to monitor what their children are playing, but the producers and distributors of them need to be held accountable for the content to some extent.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My son is 5 and has a clearer concept on the difference between fiction and reality than some teenagers. The producers of violent video games and media do their jobs when they put PARENTAL ADVISORY:EXPLICIT CONTENT on the front of CDs that contain excessive profanity and by putting the ratings on movies and video games. Television programs have ratings as well and there are PARENTAL CONTROLS which allow parents to block profane and sexually explicit content. And if your 5 year old is awake during the "side boob" hours on regular television then you need not worry about what that type of material is doing on television but why you haven't put him/her to bed yet. Parents need to take ownership and accountability for the activities that their children partake in.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My son is 7 and is playing some xbox shooting game right now. He was beating Halo II before he was 5 and plays Call of Duty and any other game as long as it's not sexual, and kicks peoples ass online at these games. You know what? They are GAMES. My kids know the difference in real and fake. He is not aggresive. In fact, he is the most passive child I know and very well behaved. Hell, he is afraid to swim and ride a bike. But he'll kick your butt at Halo 3. It's funny, the more society wants to baby our children (no spanking, no video games, no tv, blah blah) the more these wacked out kids start shooting up schools. "Normal" people/kids don't go shooting people because the TV shows it.
    Anonymous

• It is first and foremost a parents responsibility to make sure their child does not become violent. But video games do encourage violent behavior. But I don't think the government should regulate them anymore than they are. Parents need to be responsible and not let their children see things they are not ready for.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Ummm violence has always been around and will continue.

Anonymous