castor oil at 37 weeks...

So i was wondering do you know of anyone that drank castor oil and it actually worked? I hear women being in the bathroom miserable for hours but has it actually put anyone into real labor or is it a myth? IM NOT GOING TO TRY IT but i hear about it so often from pregnant moms that i was just wondering if it actually worked or if all these moms are just wasting their time lol thanks!!

babybump3166

Asked by babybump3166 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know if it works or not but I do know that it's very dangerous if you drink it (or maybe if you drink more than a certain amount). It'll make you sick. It most likely will not cause labor.

Most of the ways women try to induce doesn't work. If it does then it's usually a coincidence.

Don't worry. You're baby will come when he/she is ready.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think it only works if you are close to your due date and are starting contractions, but they aren't strong enough that the hospital would keep you if you went in. In other words, if you were in the very early stage of labor, it would help your contractions get stronger.
    hav4munchkinz

Answer by hav4munchkinz at 8:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• This doesn't always work, though!! I forgot to mention that. I wouldn't do it...what if it didn't work?!You'd have horrible diarrhea (putting yourself at risk for dehydration) for no good reason.
    hav4munchkinz

Answer by hav4munchkinz at 8:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My Dr told me it can be extreamly dangerous for the baby and the only time it MIGHT help is if your body is already ready to go into labor. I've heard the same thing though, in the bathroom with cramps, vomiting and the runs. I figure pregnancy is hard enough without all that added onto it LOL
    KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Worked for me. My mother (a midwife) told me to take it. Although, I was with her the entire time so if anything went wrong, she was there.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• This is very dangerous. It gives you major runs and can cause the baby to have a bowel movement in utero. I was stupid and did it with my son. Needless to say it worked but it caused him to have to be taken right away and be suctioned out. I did not get to see him for about 15 minutes. I would not do this.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 8:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I drank it, and yes I had contractions. I went to the hospital thinking it was labor, but it wasn't. Castor oil just intensified my braxton-hicks. No runs, no vomiting, but INTENSE false labor. I was later told that it doesn't work unless your cervix is already changing.....not to a 2 or 3 like I was, but like a 4. (Yes, once you start ACTUAL labor.)
    steveswife1130

Answer by steveswife1130 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Along with all the other reasons that every mentioned, I would not want the runs while I am in labor.
    Anonymous

• i tried this on thursday and i was ok with drinking it and i had 4-5 loose bowels and it intensified the contractions and speed them up to 7 min apart but once the caster oil was out of my system the contractions slowed back down and didnt start me into real labor
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• They were talking about this Friday on the show The Doctors and they said that it doesn't work that it just messes up your bowels and that it can be very unsafe for baby...
    Anonymous