What are some thoughts on babies watching television?

hcummins38104

Asked by hcummins38104 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i say most babies under 1 wont watch it anyway...but a little bit while staying active isnt harmful
    jrishceltic

Answer by jrishceltic at 4:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my dd is 8 months and LOVEs "my friends tigger and pooh" her favorate is Tigger... she only watches a little bit of TV.... my grandparents watch her and they leave it on in the background while they play... as long as they aren't sitting ther eall day long then i dont see it as a problem.
    akrogers13

Answer by akrogers13 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• young babies (under 1) are mostly looking at it because of the colors and shapes of it..so putting something stimulating on for them for a little while every now and then i dont think is too harmful. my son will watch a little tv each day but i try to limit it so that they are staying active as well
    taylormcl118

Answer by taylormcl118 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I just read the most interesting article about this ...I am doing alot of research right now on the possible causes of Autism. There are some speculations that TV viewing in babies and toddlers may be partly responsible for the sudden rise in autistic cases. This makes me feel awful for letting my sons watch tv.. Although, I am not completely convinced of this as the jury is still out on what the actual causes Are. It is just a theory that they are working with. I have definitely limited tv in my house though...better safe than sorry.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 4:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yeah, myself personally, I just can't spend my time reading all these things and listening to the news, but I take what I can do and leave the rest up to God to protect my family... Anywho, the TV is basicly background noise for me and my kids, at least til my husband comes home lol. Sometimes I let them watch it "their channel" and when I want them to play, I turn it to CNN. LOL
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 4:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter and I watch a movie together but she mainly sits there and pulls my hair and laughs at me. She loves ESPN though and sports because of the fast pace motions on the tv.
    MommasCooCoo I heard about that also and that tv can actually cause ADD but that has a lot to do with genes also. When it comes down to it everything has to do with genes if our children is going to be more and likely to have or get something.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 5:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son is about 2 months old and is fasinated with watching TV. I don't think its gonna do any harm to his growth if he watches it. I mean he doesnt know whats goin on and hes just watching for the colors, sounds and stuff. I mean if your doing it all the time then that might not be good later on.But for an hour or so here and there i dont think is gonna do any damage
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Consider. A baby who is drinking in every experience receives sights and sounds of real things or gets electronic facsimiles. The time is NOT being spent relating to you - the most important thing in the world to be doing. And it is not being spent moving: gaining command over arms and legs and back, building strength. To have TV eroding either the psychological or the physical development of a child is not a good choice. Not while a baby, not as a preschooler, even older children's intelligence and skills are harmed by TV instead of being active with real people and real movement.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I think anything that stimulates them is ok, including tv.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I think it's harmful and should be limited if not avoided at all until at least age 2. From www.family.org
    Just ONE reason is that if a baby from beginning of life is sitting in front of a moving screen with music and dance, they are going to have a harder time later in life sitting still and playing a whole board game, or just watching the fireflies. It will have to be fast paced for them.
    From Thrilled to Death

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2008