Does anyone own a boxer? And what is their temperment like? With kids?

krusecat22

Asked by krusecat22 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pets

• My sister owns a boxer and he is great. He is very energetic and like to jump. So that might pose a problem if you have small children. He's very smart and trained easily.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 8:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i own 3 and i have a 6 month old son and all of them over him and wont hurt him... it al depends on how the dog was raised.... even rots are nice if raise right
    Anonymous

• I have a five month old son and a two year old boxer and she loves him to death. She is a little on the hyper side so we have to watch her when she gets excited but other than that she is wonderful!
    tannersmomkw08

Answer by tannersmomkw08 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i got my boxer 2 months before i had my daughter and they are great together she is so mean to him and he just sits there and takes it all. i think boxer are great kid dogs
    mommy033

Answer by mommy033 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• im almost 40 weeks prego and i was wondering the same thing! i have 2 boxers, ones 5 and the other 9 months.. i used to babysit a lot before we got the puppy, the older one LOVES kids! he would just lay next to them and stuff, not really pay attention. i am a little worried about the puppy because shes a little hyper but i think she just needs to get used to the baby
    Anonymous

• We have a boxer and he is great with our Daughter, we had the boxer before i got pregnant, and he was exactly 1 year old when I had my daughter (they have the same birthday!!) and she loves him so much. He is also really good with her.
    Anonymous

• we have a boxer and she tramples my daughter when she doesn't look or gets to hyper. they have lots of energy and should be walked daily. ours licks alot which upsets us and my toddler. she is pretty smart. although i prefer our standard poodle who never licks and lets my baby climb on her. our boxer just pulls away and doesn't seem to genuinely like our daughter but could be that i favor my poodle and maybe she feels it fro both me and my daughter. our boxer would never bite or harm her so overall other then the hyper-ness and licking she is great.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• very hyper!!!!!!
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• They are a really high strung dog, but that's because they are categorized in the Working class. They need a job. Many people confuse hyperactivity with boredom and compressed energy. These dogs NEED a job. Any of the working, hunting, herding, and terriers NEED to have jobs. They are not yard dogs. Boxers are completely unaware of their size, and as mentioned several times above, they will trample. Not that they're being mean, or rude, they just don't pay much attention. Especially young boxers. They will trip you when you get up off the couch, they are leg rubbers, similar to cats, only 80lbs worth... : )

Great dog for active, mature families... I would not suggest for homes with children much under 12 or 15, they're clumsy, and don't care!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Boxers are wonderful dogs but not for everyone. They are very smart and trainable, almost human in their intuition, and very loving (some call it needy). They want to be with their people all the time. They CANNOT be outdoor dogs. We have had Boxers over the years and will always have one. Our current Boxer is almost two and he is wonderful with kids, other dogs, and loves attention. Our first Boxer was the same way. Boxers definitely need a good outlet for their energy several times a day. Walks, playing fetch, running, etc.. A bored Boxer is a naughty Boxer. If trained properly by an experienced (they are not for timid or first time dog owners) person from a young age, they will be a well mannered, wonderful family member. www.boxerworld.com and www.americanboxerclub.org are a couple of good places to start researching the breed.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2009