How can I help my son not to be afraid of monster

minela22

Asked by minela22 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son used to be afraid that a monster will come in through the window. So for a while I would yell out his bedroom window something like, "Hey all you big bad monsters. You are to leave Orion alone! If you don't then you'll have to answer to me and I'll kick your butt all over town." My son got a kick out of it and it made him feel better.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• They make a stuffed animal that comes with a seperate light thing that you put it in the spot that the child is scared and they can push the hand of the animal they sleep with and it lights up and says all secure for children with these fears. I am sorry I dont know the name of it.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 8:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Monster spray, water with food coloring, just a bit to make it look real. Add a bit of nasty perfume in it to lightly spray where monsters are for him to do with you so he knows he's strong and gets rid of them himself. The heavy perfume spray will make your son think it'll kill them off!
    Anonymous

• You can't. They just grow out of that .It's a stage type thing.

Answer by louise2 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I hate to tell you but I am still afraid of monsters. I won't watch monster or scary movies or read scary books. I keep the curtains closed at night in case there is a monster, or an alien looking in, that would scare me silly. Anyway how to comfort a little one. Leave as much light on as he likes even the main room light but at least a night light. Also keep his door open and yours, too, (except when inappropriate) so that he knows that essentially he is not on his own. I used to hug my teddy like crazy and tell myself that teddy would protect me.

Answer by Bmat at 8:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• MONSTER SPRAY!! works amazing. it helped my little brother :)
    skatermommy

Answer by skatermommy at 8:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i wouldnt feed into thier fear by giving them repelents for monsters this is telling the child that monsters are real!! and he needs to defend himself from them, come on just reasure the child that there are no such thing as monsters keep a night light on or door open but dont feed his fear..
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Georgesmommy ... Unfortunately telling your child there is no such thing as monsters is no way to stop them from believing, or more to the point, from being afraid. Trust me, I had parents who thought like you and I went to bed every night for several years terrified. All your approach does is tell the child that they can't come to you with their fears. I still keep my mattress on the floor so that I don't get grabbed by the ankles when getting into bed!
    Even things that we know for a fact do not exist, still scare a great many logical and reasonable people. And just because they don't really exist doesn't make them any less scary.
    The abov suggestions are awesome. Nightlights, teddy bears, monster spray. All good. Another suggestion might be to make sure there is some noise in the room. Even a nature noise machine or classical music. Anythign to distract them from the fears going round and round in their head.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 2:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Congratulations your child is Intelligent, Creative, and FULL of Imagination. Since I hope you really don't want to squash those ascpects of his being and you do want him to always come to you... I love the combo of a night light and monster spray (or at our house it was witch repellant) LOL. It could be water and food coloring, I also used a body spray someone gave me I wasnt fond of for myself but it didn't smell totally horrible.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I told my dd that cookies monster was a monster as well as others on seseame streeet. even if he does not watch seseame street any longer he will remember them. It worked wonders for my dd. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2009