Advice for transition of bottle to sippy?

Just looking for a little advice on how you transitioned your child and how well it worked for you. What age? How soon it took place? Even the times it didn't work. Any cups you suggest? And cups you wouldn't suggest? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MarlasMommy

Asked by MarlasMommy at 8:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my kids took to the sippy really easily. I would give them juice or milk in them at mealtimes. I started at around 10-11 months old. After they got used to it I just stopped using the bottle. I didn't force the sippy on them. Just offered it and they took it.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• :) My son and his wife wondered about their baby and changing her to a sippy. So they handed her a sippy cup of milk and she chugged it right down. No problem there. I just held the cup to their lips so they realized it was milk and they started drinking.

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My daughter is 10 months old and I have bought several and tried handing them to her......... She throws them at me! The second she puts them in her mouth she throws a fit! Which is not like her at all! She is a very happy baby 23 hours of the day, no joke. So I'm not sure what is going on with her. She does it even when I act like I'm gonna hand it to her. She covers her face and screams!!!!!

WHAT KIND OF CUPS DID YOU USE?

I have bought the Munchkin kind, Nuby, Gerber, and they all have soft tips to help the transition. But she can tell the difference she sticks it in her mouth. She won't even try...................
    MarlasMommy

Answer by MarlasMommy at 8:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If they can hold it(the sippy cup). You can let them use it.

Answer by louise2 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I introduce a cup at about 6 months, the kind with two handles, to make it easy and fun to hold. At around 10 months, I start cutting the amount of formula, meaning about 1/4 of the time, I just put water in their bottles. At 11 months, about 1/2 of the time I offer the bottle with water, or the cup with milk or juice. (You can guess what they choose.) At 12 months and beyond, water is all they get in the bottle. I let my kids tell me when they are done with the bottle, usually by the time they are 14 months they are done with the "boring" bottle of water. I never, ever put juice or regular milk in a bottle. Formula or water only. It's worked twice for me, and I plan on doing it with my youngest.
    steveswife1130

Answer by steveswife1130 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Just give her a sippy cup with water in it (so it doesn't go bad) whenever she sits down for a meal or is playing on the floor. If she screams and throws it, just put it away and try again in a few hours. Don't let it become something for her to fight you over. She will figure it out eventually.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well i started my daughter on the sippy cup at about 6-7 months i think! But we only used it for like juice and now juice and milk. we used the nuby sippy cup. the spout wasnt too hard. it was rubber.
    sweetheart254

Answer by sweetheart254 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• What age? 6 months

How soon it took place? within 2 weeks of starting

Any cups you suggest? Nuby

And cups you wouldn't suggest? Whatever ones the baby won't take! lol seriously

We started by putting their hands on the cup with our hands over it. Once they would keep their hands on it, we started holding the end up with a finger...and slowly let go..helped them to learn to tip it up.

Within a couple of weeks they were using a sippy and we got rid of all the bottles.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009