What would you do?

I'm having some digestive issues. Not sure what the cause is yet. So far all the tests done were negative. Nothing to show why I get severe pain or nausea or both from food. I have two more tests to be done. If they can't find anything then they're going to diagnose me with IBS.

The only treatment for that is medication. I've taken it before and it made me really gasey. It was BAD. So I stopped taking it. But that was before I had these severe symptoms.

I have found that if I eat a raw vegan diet then I have almost no symptoms. No pain, not much nausea (fi any).

There are some foods, which are my favorite, that I'll never be able to eat again unless I take the medication. Even then there's no guarantee.

Would you a) take the medication even though it causes really stinky gas or b) change your diet and never eat some of your favorite foods again. or c) both.

Just looking for advice.

amethystrse

Asked by amethystrse at 8:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Health

• IBS is not a diagnosis to slap on when you can't find anything else...it's actually a heading that includes a number of digestive issues.
    Have you been tested for gastroparesis? Nausea, vomiting, abdominal bloating and/or pain, premature feelings of fullness are all symptoms.

Have you had a colonoscopy? I ask because my MIL had the same symptoms you describe, which were increasingly worse with the passage of time. She ended up have a tumor in her colon that was causing a blockage, but they didn't figure it out until it ruptured.

As to the meds vs food question: I would change my diet, but not rule out the meds. There isn't a single medication for IBS, because IBS is not a singular condition. If one med doesn't work, try another.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 12:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I guess that I'd try to avoid the bad foods, and if that made me just too miserable then try the meds.

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I guess the medication does not agree with your body you might have to get it changed or just eat the veggies which are far better and makes you feel at ease. I would give up the meds. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would seriously consider changing my diet. But then again, i am not one for taking medication because a doctor tells me i have IBS. Medicine now days causes serious, sometimes fatal reactions and it's just not worth it. So if you can get away with changing your diet, sticking with it, your body will eventually get use to it. Always best to do it the natural way if you can.
    krusecat22

Answer by krusecat22 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would go and get an allergy test to make sure I am not allergic to anything that I am currently eating.

Then I would methodically empty my diet of everything and bring it all back slowly to see which foods cause me problems. I would keep a journal and introduce new foods every 3-4 days or so one at a time, kind of like you do with babies.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• both.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2009