too much tv for a 3 mo. old??

i live with my parents( unfortunatly) and everytime i turn around it seems my step dad is having my 3 month old watching tv. now, i know he loves her and he has health problems making it hard for him to really get down and play with her but i really dont want her making a habit of watching tv. my mother, b/f and i all make sure she gets as much non-tv time as possible but im still afraid i might be breeding a couch potato! could this be habit forming, or is it realy not that big of a deal?

madelyns_mom08

Asked by madelyns_mom08 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• habit forming ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It's not a big deal IMO. Both of my kids watch TV and always have. However they also play outside, play together inside, like to be read to, draw, etc.

3 mo old is too young to form a bad habit. As long as she is played with a lot then she probably won't turn into a couch potato because she watches TV with your step-dad
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My Dr. said no more than one hour of t.v. for anybody under 2 years old.

Anonymous

• I'd worry more that those who are physical with her in play that they continue. Three months to about two years old they really watch tv without comprehending it - the sounds and fast motion of that more interest them than anything else. Since you have family who are active with her and seem that that won't stop, I wouldn't worry unless sf watches more adult content w/her.
    Anonymous

• When my DD was in between 1-5 months she had colic, very badly and the only, ONLY thing that would stop the crying was the TV, so i would put her in the swing/bouncy put the TV on Noggin and get some peace and quiet...and to this day she watches about an hr of tv a day, she's 6 months old...

PS I'm only posting anon because I"m not really in the mood to be bashed :)
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I hear about how kids aren't supposed to watch TV under the age of 2, but I disagree. My oldest was GLUED to the TV as young as 2 months, especially commercials. (Don't ask me why) As a new mom, I was worried and like you tried to steer her away. But, she learned to read and write at age 3 on her own. My DH is constantly holding my 5 month ol in front of the computer, pointing out babies and doggies and such on YouTube. I see it as bonding time between the two of them. Yes, he does play with her on the floor, and we are a very active family, so I know she will enjoy the outdoors as much as we do. Just let them bond, and make sure she does get exercise with others. I think she'll come to enjoy TV time with her grandpa, but IMO it won't make her lazy. My kids aren't, and they LOVE TV!!!
    steveswife1130

Answer by steveswife1130 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• my daughter started paying attention to the tv at 3-4 weeks old. i know thats bad but she loved to listen to the sounds more than watching them. but now she is 11 months old and she only watches disney channel. but i do hear it is habit forming but she doesnt need it all the time. she looks at books.
    sweetheart254

Answer by sweetheart254 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Naw. No big deal.
    My 2 year old watches more TV than she should, but it's winter, and it's -20 degree weather out! BRRR!!!!!! There's not a lot of physical activities we can do.. Couple that with having a 3 month old with respiratory problems, and we can't even head to the pool!!
    TV is a lot more educational than people give it credit for.. I can't even believe the things my 2 year old knows! She can answer the questions at the end of Diego faster and more accurately than I can! And it's the darnedest thing- but she's actually learning a bit of Spanish, too..
    It's not terrible to have the TV on in the background.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2009