Is there hope for my Cat?

Sleepie wil be 6 in March! He's A Black Male Munchkin! He doesn't Drink Water Well.. He spills it Every single Dish wqe give him! He tries to nurse & uses his paws & sprawls them out Swishing Back & forth!! Wildly*! He's Funny but not Clever then he spills & the others have to wait for me to clean up his mess & refill it! I try to hold his paws & tell him to look at the others,.. But he spills & can't do Well!! He gets his hole Face all Wet too!!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 8:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Awww. He sounds like a sweetie. At age 6 he isn't going to change. Just keep mopping and give him and extra pat for me.

Answer by Bmat at 8:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My cat does the same thing only she will drink it then she wants to play I guess they like to see the water going back and forth in the bowl and they accidently spill it. I just give her enough for her to quench her thirst that way if she spills it it won't be so much. I am sure your cat will be fine.
    I love CATS!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Sleepie is blessed to have you, Linda. I doubt he'll ever learn. My dog Charlie can't drink out of a regular water bowl. He's just never been able to figure it out. He tries to stick his whole head in the water, then he tries to use his paws to "dig" the water out, and he ends up spilling it every where. He can; however, drink out of one of those with a tank. I'm not sure what the difference is.
    MarieT03

Answer by MarieT03 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• One of my son's cats washed all of the cat toys in his water dish- furry stuffed mice and all. My other son's cat would steal pieces of paper and drop them into his water dish- never did figure that one out.

Answer by Bmat at 8:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• some cats like fresh fresh fresh water, or running water. you can look at specialty pet stores for fancy water dishes that move the water around, or i got one at walmart that keeps a reserve of water that automatically refills the dish for maybe $10. if that's not it, then he's just a little old to train!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about him, he's not going to drown, that's for sure. He just LOVES drinking!

I got my little sister a kitten for her birthday 2 years ago, and now, as a fat housecat, he will not drink from the bowl. Jasper insists on dunking his right leg in the bowl, up to the elbow, and licking the water off himself!

If your cat is kneading while he drinks, it's a comfort to him... he's really enjoying it! Maybe you could lay down some bed pads under the water bowl, like the ones the dr sends home with you after you have a baby to protect your bed. Walmart sells pkgs of 30 for $5-$6. They'll soak up the water, and most likely it will dry out before he comes back to drink again. If it ends up too wet, you can change it out.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2009