• In the Spotlight:

would you recommend using walker to help your child learn to walk? and at what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, my DS is 6 months and already in it.
    He will stand up in it and hold on to the sides or front of it to keep balance.
    I think it helps.
    My uncle also used a walker and one day just stood up and started walking in it.
    Anonymous

• Neither of my kids had a walker. They both learned to walk at about 9-10 months old. I helped by holding their hands as they walked around and eventually they just did it on their own.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• As soon as they can sit up , they can be in a walker. To help them strengthen their legs.

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• no. my ped sends a note with every well baby checkup that says walkers are very dangerous and shouldnt be used. for that reason i dont use one, but everyone is different. my 7 month old plays in her exersaucer all day every day and its really helping her leg strength. i do know people that have used them and say they work though
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It depends on the baby. My daughter was in a walker for awhile and was not intrested in walking until she was 15 months old!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 8:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well i bought a walker for my daughter but she used it more for a seat than really using it. She is 11 months old now and she is getting better about walking. she is holding on to 1 finger and trying to walk.
    sweetheart254

Answer by sweetheart254 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i never had a walker for my dd and she started walking just fine
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Never had a walker for any of mine...they walked at 10 months, 9 months and 11 months (10 adjusted)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• they're illegal in canada....
    dd never had one and she walked at 12 months (9 1/2 adjusted)
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Walkers can actually slow down their walking by at least 2 weeks cause it does not teach them to stand properly.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009