How can I motivate my son to complete his classwork in school.?

My son is a seven year old second grader who has difficulty keeping up in class. When they are written assignments he takes along time to write them in his copybook. *0% of the time they are incomplete.

PattieB

Asked by PattieB at 8:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You should sit with him. Maybe he is having trouble with them. Well if you don't sit with him already. The work may be to hard for him, and needs a little extra one on one help.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 8:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• You need to talk to his teacher. It could be a number of issues.

Some kids are just very slow workers. If he's working the whole time and knows how to do the work ask if he can have extra time or bring some home to finish.

It could be an attention issue.  If he knows the material, but can't stay focused ask her to break the assignments down into smaller sections.  If he looks at it in small chunks he may be more willing to work to get each piece done.

He could be struggling with the material.  If he isn't getting his work done because he doesn't know how ask the teacher what you can do at home to help.  Also request a meeting with the guidance counselor to see what type of interventions they can do to help him improve his skills.

Good Luck!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I have this same problem with my son. I went and had a meeting with the teacher and i also go in time to time and sit with him to complete it. My sons problem is he is easily distracted. I am not say that is the problem with ur child but i had to find out the hard way that was his problem. the teacher does work with us and let him bring home what he does not finish or she helps him complete it when they have thier down time.

Good Luck
    armywife00mom02

Answer by armywife00mom02 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• What happens when he does homework? Does he take a long time to complete that as well? What do you observe about how he works? I think you should talk to the teacher also to see what he or she obseves about how he works. Also, how he reacts to not finishing---does he feel stressed about it? I don't know if it is a matter of "motivation" because what is better than getting your work done and keeping up with everyone else in class? Follow up with the school.....see what they recommend for him. I would continue to encourage him, but I would hesitate to see this as a discipline issue.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2009