is she pregnant?

last night I over heard my daughter's conversation to one of her friends on the phone about her might being pregnant. My daughter is only 15 and she goes to an all girls school I didnt even know she was into sex or having sex, me and my husband keep a close eye on our kids, when did she even have time to be alone with a boy? When I heard say the words" I might be pregnant" my heart dropped and I wanted to rush right in her room but I just couldnt what was I going to say what was I going to do? Should I wait and let her come to me and talk to me about it or should I just confront her about it? I haavent told my husband yet b/c he will freak and theres no telling what he will do. Maybe thats why she hasnt come to us b/c we both are strick but what are parents supose to do.. Is this our fault b/c we kept them so closed in? There are so many questions and not enough answers/ Ladies please help...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Okay...are you "in tune" to when her period should come? If so...watch for signs...check trash cans...if nothing appears when it should or around that time...then I would approach her...talk with her....if she is pregnant then she's probably scared to death...just be there for her.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 8:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Have you had "the talk" with her? Maybe this is wishful thinking at 15...but is it possible she doesn't know where babies come from? Regardless...I think you need to talk to your daughter about this...as hard as it might be.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• She might be saying it to get attention from her friends. I would take her little butt down to planned parenthood and make her sit with you and wait with all the other teens. Go on a clinic day when there's a wait. Have her tested and then discuss birth control options. My mom did this with me and let me tell you it was embarassing and made me rethink my choices.
    Anonymous

• you need to let her come to you. she just has to know that your are there for her. i wouldnt say anything to your husban now .why get him upset if you dont know for sure?
    marissad

Answer by marissad at 9:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Wow.............I cant imagine being in your shoes. If you decide to talk with her, you need to be very careful with how you handle this. She already know's you are going to be very disappointed. If it was me, I would talk to my daughter. I would want her to know that she can depend on me. I held her hand when she learned how to walk. I would hold her hand when she may have to make the most life altering decision of her young life. Strength to you momma.............
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would take a while to calm down. Then, when you are calm, talk to her. Let her know that if she ever needed to turn to you for guidance or support that you'll be there for her. Let her know that she can come to you for anything and you won't judge or berate her.

She may or may not be pregnant. I thought I was pregnant when I first missed a period (I was 14). Thankfully I wasn't. It just turned out that my periods started going out of whack at that age. If I was though, I know I would want my mother to be someone I could turn to without fear.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Do not wait to talk to her. She is 15 and should not be having sex, if she is, and if she's not..then she's thinking about it. You need to talk to her. You need to guide her. You need to get her tested. This is not the time to worry about being her friend, you are her mom and need to do what is best for her and her possible child.
    Anonymous

• Okay, having been pregnant at 15 myself I can tell you that if a teenager wants to be with a boy badly enough she will find away and it happens even more when a teen attends an all girl/boy school. Wait for her to come to you as far as the potential pregnancy is concerned. You said that she told her friend that she might be pregnant and she may be waiting until she knows for certain to bring it to your attention especially if she knows that her father will freak. In the mean time have "the talk" with her but try not to be to conspicuous about it b/c you want her to trust you enough to come to you about these things and if you accuse her or tell her what you overheard she will consider it a major trespass and your bond, in that area, will be broken. In this case it is not prudent to look at the smaller picture but the larger one.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Oh gosh momma, I'm so sorry you're going through this. My dd is 14 and I know I'd be freaking out right now if I were in your situation. But you should talk to her. She may get mad because you overheard her "private" conversation, but this is something that can't wait. Besides, she needs you regardless of what is going on and you need to know the truth rather than worry yourself to death without knowing all the details. The sooner you talk to her the sooner you can clear things up and go to the next step whatever that may be. And it's no one's fault. We all do what we think is best for our kids, but in the end it is up to them to make the right decisions. They are going to make mistakes and they are going to go through tough times no matter what we do. Just be there for her, and make sure you find out what is really going on.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• aww. this must be hard for the both of you. being a teen momma isn't easy. i am 17, but i couldn't imagine being 15 and having a child.
    etiheidas

Answer by etiheidas at 10:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009