How do you juggle everything?

Ok I have three kids (9, 6, & 4), a husband, a job, and a house that looks like it has been shaken up & down like a snow globe. I feel so out of control! I'm sure that like many of you no sooner that I get home from work it is already getting dark outside. I come into a house full of chaos..nothing in it's place, kids gone crazy, and still I am left to run the " MOMMY MARATHON"! You know the drill..getting supper done, making sure everyone has their homework done, baths and trying to get in bed at a decent time. Where's the time to just sit and enjoy my kids? It seems like I can never get caught up around the house. Many times I've just thought who cares if there's not a place for everything, or that the laundry is dirty..but then I get tired of dreading the idea of family or friends just stopping by. Now that I have fully vented if anyone can relate or has any ideas let me know!

imblessed1113

Asked by imblessed1113 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ah...sounds like it is time for chores! Your kids are getting old enough to be an actual help around the house...put them to work!!! Create a list of daily chores...give them stickers and rewards or allowance for getting them done (or a list that has to be done and a list of extras that will earn them something). Hire a maid if you can afford one. Your kids are only kids for so long...you should enjoy them and not worry so much about the mess! (Easier for me to say than do)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I can relate. My kids are 4 and 9 months, though. For starters, I don't "cook" anymore during the week. I do once a month cooking or the crock pot. There is also always a stash of chicken nuggets and tator tots in the freezer. And your kids are old enough to do chores. My 4 year old has to help me clean up. So, make sure they are helping. My kids are always down by eight. So up until 8 its their time. After 8 - 8:30 its mommy time. Even though I am dead to the world - at least its quiet. My house always seems messy - no matther how much I clean. And I clean everyday. So some stuff I have to let go. Try to set up a schedule for yourself indicating which days you will tackle certain chores. And make sure you get time to yourself at least once a month to go out and have coffee with the girls or just to get a manicure. As mothers we always neglect ourselves. But we need love too. When mommy is happy..everyone is happy.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My house isn't always perfect but it's gotten better. When my kids get home from school they have to put their stuff away and get their chores and homework done. When I get home from work I cook dinner (I have my girls help me), after dinner they get in the shower and then we will either sit down and watch t.v. or play a game before bed. They are in bed by 8:00, once they are in bed I do a load of laundry. Saturdays are set aside as family day, we don't worry about anything other then spending time together and Sundays I get the house clean for the week.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I try to do at least 2 loads of laundry a day on my days off and try to keep my kitchen and bathrooms clean--it sounds horrible but everything else can wait until I feel that I have the time. My child won't remember how clean our house was but she will remember spending time with Mommy. That is a piece of info I learned from a neighbor who had 6 boys.

Your children are old enough to help out. Start enlisting the little ones to help. Figure out a reward system and use it. It will make your life easier.
    Good luck!!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Honestly, I've learned to let certain things go. My kids are 14, 10, 8, and 6 so they do some chores, but the oldest has a lot of homework so hers are limited to weekends. Fortunately I don't work for right now (not by choice however) so I'm slowly catching up. I pick chores for the kids that they enjoy, but also things that I really need done. They told me what they would like to do and then I picked the chores based on what I needed done. They do fold their own clothes and put them away (with some help from me), one dd loves to scrub the toilet so I showed her how and now she does that. You kind of have to figure out what works best for your family.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My kids are all assigned chores. They have the same ones everyday so there's no excuses like "I forgot" or "I didn't know I was suppose to do that." My kids are all 13 and 14 except the baby, and they do things like, load and unload the dishwasher, feed the dogs, take out the garbage, sweep, mop, clean the bathroom and clean their rooms. Dad and I get to do the family room and our room, and we make the meals. It works out well. And now, they all have to do their own laundry once a week too. Wash, dry and fold. It works and they all work well as a team!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Well. This is my opinion. When you have to juggle everything, you are bound to drop things. So, instead of dropping them, set them down. And let them go.
    When your dealing with everyday life there is quite often a time when you can't get past the 3 D's. Dinner, dishes, duds. So, eliminate those things and you can spare that time. Plan your dinner. make sure the dishes are caught up and plan your laundry. Know where you are going the next day and have that outfit ready. Get the main rooms in the house clean. REALLY CLEAN. Then keep them that way come hell or high water. Then work your way through the next room 15 minutes a day until you are in control. Keep a family notebook.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 6:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• In the family notebook, section a spot for each person. Then keep all important informatin in there. I keep a calendar in mine and write everyones information on it. (Meetings, appointments ect.)
    Delegate. Teach your children how to do the chores and expect and demand that they do them.
    Good luck. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 6:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2009