My baby feels as if he has to be held or have motion 24/7 and that's all I do all day. What can I do to make him calm down?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him get used to being alone...put him within eye shot of you, but don't let him c u. Let him cry if that's what happens. Its really hard but it'll make ur life so much better and it'll build up his security.
    Anonymous

• Lauren - take it from me...I have been through this with my two year old...If there is nothing wrong with the baby - he's not wet/poopy, sick or hungry....put him in his crib and take a 10 minute break out of earshot of the crying. Do it for yourself.

How old is he?
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• He's only 6 weeks. I heard you can't let them cry until they get to be a few months old.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Yeah, too young for cio.

Have you tried wearing him? It won't 'solve' the problem. But it will free your hands up to be able to get stuff done.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• You're right. That's a little young to leave him alone. Do you have anyone that can come help you for like an hour?

Since he is this young, there can only be a few things wrong - he doesn't feel good, (or) he's allergic to milk, (or) his clothes irritate him - like the tags are irritating him....or, unfortunately - he is just plain colicky.

Try this - get him totally naked - except for his diaper - and then swaddle him fairly tightly, and then sit down in a rocking chair or whatever - and put a pacifier in....(or if you don't believe in pacifiers - as I don't - make an ounce of milk for him and feed him).

Also - you could be under/over feeding him. If you're not sure how much you're feeding him- start keep a log of what time you feed him and how much he eats.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I feel your frustration. My two year old cried 20 hours a day starting the day he was born. I did everything possible to make him comfortable.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Try a bouncy seat. My son was the same way til we discovered the bouncy. He loved it so much he would want to be in it. It's worth a shot try it
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 3:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• At that age, he'll want to feel close to you and secure. I'd recommend a swaddling blanket for when he naps, and getting a carrier. I also had a boppy, and kept my son on that, as I spent a lot of my time sitting around on the computer...made feeding easier too.

MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 4:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My first was like that for the first 4-5 months! She even slept on our chests! It was so frustrating so I feel ya! I eventually found that she would watch baby einsteins and teletubbies. girl you have to find something for your sanity
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 4:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son was the same way after my mom visited and refused to put him down even when he was sleeping. After that he had to be constantly held and moving. The swing was a lifesaver for us. We had the Fisher Price Papasan Cradle Swing. We also found that he slept better in his carrier/carseat so sometimes we would leave him in that and set it in the crib. I think he needed the security of having something snugly around him but he refused to be swaddled. We also got him a sleep positioner/wedge that helped some at night too. Good luck it can be very tiring!
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 5:08 PM on Jul. 18, 2008