Is she okay?

My 5 yo little girl whent back to school this month and everyday when I go to pick her up she has this wierd look on her face and I ask her whats wrong she just shakes her head and says nothing.. She doesn't talk the whole drive home and when I ask her if she wants to go get ice creame she just says no and she loves ice creame so that was strange. When we get home she just go lay down and sleep for hours and Im like maybe she just needed some sleep and she will sleep it off but then when she wakes up she still doesnt want to talk or play Its been like this every since the first day of school starting back . The first few times it happened I just thought maybe shes getting used to a new class and new teacher and new students but its been almost 2 weeks.. Is this normal or should I take her to th edoctors? I am lost, has this ever happened to any of you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You know your little girl better than anyone and if you feel this isn't her usual behavior I would find out what's wrong. Talk to her and let her know she can tell you anything. Go talk to her teachers to see if they know anything. Check out anything that you need to, to get to the bottom of it. If you can't get any answers then I would have her checked out by the dr.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 9:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Talk to your little girl and let her know that she can tell you anything and you won't be upset with her. Someone may have told her that if she told "a secret" that they would hurt you or someone else in the family. At that age, kids believe what they are told, so don't just let the situation go. She may be experiencing being bullied by another kid, or she may be the object of some kind of abuse. Scary as it may be for you, you have to get to the bottom of this. Talk to the school couselor, teacher, school nurse, your pediatrician, whoever will listen and take your concerns seriously. She shouldn't be acting so "differently" for this long just because she started back to school. Good Luck to you both...
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I hate to say this but it sounds like your little girl is depressed. She may be having problems with someone in school. My DD had the same thing and she never told me until I took her to the doctor. I also spoke to the school counselor and they are good. She came right out of it. What had happened was several girls at school was teasing her and making fun of her. She was so intimidated that she just clammed up. Just keep letting her know that you love her and that you will do anything it takes to help her. Good luck and God bless. Vicki pommom335
    POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2009