I am wondering what kind of birth control options are safest to take while I'm breast feeding? I was interested in Mirena, but read some pretty negative stuff about it. Now I'm wondering about Depo Provera. Anyone have first hand experience with this matter?

tristans_mom15

Asked by tristans_mom15 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• While I was breastfeeding I was told I had to stick with a birth control that didn't use hormones, which knocks out a lot of birth control. There is a low hormone pill that is safe to take, but more expensive. I went with a copper IUD, which lasts up to 10 years, I just had it removed last June so we could have another child.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 10:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Paragard copper IUD is the way to go...depo in the first few months can hurt supply, heck anything with hormones can hurt supply...I wouldn't risk mirena, minipill, depo or anything with hormones no matter how safe they say it is
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I'm on mirena and i love it. no periods baby.
    calliesmommy08

Answer by calliesmommy08 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I had an insert in my arm, its called implanon and I was breastfeeding, well, slowly converting to formula right when I got this. They told me that it wouldnt harm her. Lasts for 3 years, not suppose to have periods blah blah. I like it because I know I dont have to go get a shot every 3 months, I dont have to worry about taking pills...its pretty much something I dont have to worry about. I guess this is a new thing though, and they dont know a whole lot about it. Also I have heard some bad things about the depo shot about it causing boneloss or bone problems, because I used to be on that but I hated having to go to the Dr. every 3 months...ew.
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 10:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My Mirena was great also. I only had it removed to try for baby #2. I hardly had a period while on it and no cramps or anything. I would get another in a heartbeat....
    StephanieLtd

Answer by StephanieLtd at 10:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I was told that there are actually classes that you can take that teach you how to read your body and know when you're ovulating every month. I am looking into those. That is the best option for me because I am into an all natural way of living and don't want to have to worry about feeding hormones to my child. They say that hormones aren't going to hurt the children but do you ever wonder why teenagers look like 30 yr. olds these days?
    purecity

Answer by purecity at 11:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I have Mirena. It took a few months for my body to adjust, but it appears that my periods are getting shorter and lighter, now. In the beginning, they were heavy & lasted 2 weeks...but they got shorter and lighter each time. Tho, everyone's body is different. You can always get it removed if you are unhappy. However, I would give it at least 6 months prior to deciding.
    pandora1988

Answer by pandora1988 at 4:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I have the Paragard (copper) IUD. Mirena is safe as well, but it uses a small amount of hormones, and I didn't want that. I've heard BAD things about depo. Too many people that I know personally had a $hitty time with it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• While i was on the shot I gained a lot of weight. That was a down side of it for me. I wouldnt recommed taking the shot unless you wanna gain weight.
    BermudaMama

Answer by BermudaMama at 12:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2009