Discrimination at school

This questions is to minority parents. Do you feel your child experience discrimination at school? In what way? How if at all you address it? What if whatever you try does not work?

I feel that my child is not treated fairly, but it is very difficult to proof, despite having 100% in initial test she was sent to 'weaker' math group. Her official reading level is 10 levels lower than she really is and the teacher absolutely REFUSES to change it. She put in her class and group assignments with the weakest children in her cohort. The principal states- if you do not like it, leave, no one holding you in the school.

The teacher is generally nice, aka politically correct, but often makes behavioral comments that never happen about my child- she talks (once I saw that her friend actually talked to her, but before my daughter even answered, the teacher gave HER the 'talking' slip), she does not participate (while she climes she raised her hand and he ignored her)...This is much more than this, but really hard to explain.

So what do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sorry, you feel as though your child is being unduly treated in her school. If you've brought these issues up with the teacher and nothing has yet to be done to your satisfaction then perhaps it's time you talk to the principal.

My girls have been fairly treated in the schools they attend.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• I don't know my son is white and goes to a school with only 2other white children in his class, his teacher this year placed him at the bottom on the reading scale, now I know how he can read,, so I called the school counselor and we had him read with his teacher present,, I didn't throw a fit, but I made it aware and known that I was going to be a very active parent. I think that you need to talk to your couselor/evaluator and have them test your child.. I will say I am sorry, and your probably right, but if this is a good school and you want or hope to keep her there, you need to be polite, but DEMANDING of your child's right.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• As I wrote, I talked with principal, several times, either he says me 'no' in a gracious way, aka redirecting my attention to general information about reading behaviors, or stating to speak with the teacher, or simply says 'sorry, you do not like it, it always an opportunity for you to check another school", in other words 'either you accept the situation as it is or leave'.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• We deal with racism all the time living in the south and my kids are half Hispanic. But I have only had one incident years ago with my 18 yr olds teacher who let it slip she thought he was as stupid as all the other mexicans in her class, and obviously he was removed from that class since she said it in front of the principal. Other than that just some issues here and there with bus drivers.

I deal with it by documenting everything, sending certified letters, and filing formal complaints with the district. And this is not just with racial issues but with any issue in which I think my child(ren) are being treated unfairly. I have a similar situation with my dd now and her teacher but I used it as a teaching lesson for my dd. I explained to her in life there will be people who dont like you, and people you wont like. Oh well. You deal with it.

Answer by gemgem at 4:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• Is it a private school? If not, they cannot tell you to leave. I would talk to the superintendant, or go to the school board. If it is a private school, i would just point out that i pay my money same as everyone else does and i have a right to request a new teacher and to be treated fairley.
    Request a parent teacheer conference and request the principal be present and ask her why you child is on a lower reading lever? What is she basing her grades on?
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 4:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• get with the school counselor,, trust me they don't want to be looked at this way, and if they think your ready to take it to another level,, they will do something.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• If, like you state, the principal isn't supportive or not willing to help, then go the next step and talk to the Superintendant. Let them know what is going on. Hopefully, they will not be so biased.
    MommyMunch

Answer by MommyMunch at 4:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• Is it a private school? When did this start and how old is your child? Do you sit in the class and make random, unannounced visits?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 4:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• I always very polite and try my very best, I do volunteer, I donated money for the school foundation, I help my daughter at home a lot, but I feel that every time I try to do something for her (actual) level I hit the glass ceiling, she just won't be moved in any circumstances, because of her origin or/and socio-economic status..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

• Ok, sorry I did see where you said you spoke to the teacher but missed the part where you stated you spoke with the principal as well. I'm sorry but I've never experienced discrimination at my kids school and my youngest is Asian. I know you may not want to now so I would hang in there but is there anyway you could remove your child for next year? So that you don't have to go thru this all over again?
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2012