35 lb 18 month-obese????

My 18 month old weighs 35 lb. His father is tall but not all on the heavy side and I'm a teeny little person myself. He was always big (he was 8lbs 9 ounces @ birth) and he doesn eat alot of junk food. He does though drink alot of milk. COuld that be bringing on the pounds??? the doctor said he's ok but everyone else seems alarmed by his size-including myself. He's becoimg too heavy for me to carry for long periods of times. As he grows his weight is balancing out but he still the size of an average 3 YO according to some website) Is this obesity or what??? HElP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Look at the height and weight percentiles. If he is in the same range on both then he is okay (ex 50% for wt and 50% for ht). But he shouldn't be drinking more than 32 ounces of milk a day. The extra calories will put on weight. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yes he can gain weight from too much milk. I think he should have no more than 24 oz a day.
    Anonymous

• My boys were always in the higher percentiles. I never worried about it because their dad is very tall and stocky and that how the boys were. Once they started walking more, like around 2, they started thinning out quite a bit. My youngest just turned 2, and you can tell he's starting to look thinner. If your dr isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry! Here's a link to the growth charts that I use:

http://www.babycenter.com/baby-child-growth-percentile-calculator
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Let's just say my daughter weighs 32ibs and she will be 4 in March. If that answers your ???! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• When my DS and i are inside and need to get some energy out we play, what we call, "Who can?" ...it's like simon says except no one wins or looses. i say, "who can jump up and down?" and then i do it and see if he copies. "who can flap their arms like a bird?" "who can hop on one foot" (which at 18 months DONT expect him to be able to hop on one foot) "who can walk like a bear?" ect. ...simple and fun. educational too. you can be airplanes, trains, different animals. he's getting his physical movment and it's easy for you to do too. ...Also, think about turning on the radio or some kids music and dancing! many kids LOVE music. ...I hope that helps. Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Also, i'd like to say that my DS is 3yo old and about 40 to 43 pounds and he's in the 93% for hight and weight!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My 3 yo is 36lbs...I myself aws always a bigger baby and they called me the Michelin Baby bc I had so many rolls. The dr said it was from hole milk.. He also said I as fine and healthy but everybody kept telling my mom that she needed to stop letting me eat as much as I normally did. He should be fine. I'm now 5'5 and about 140 lbs and have never been big except as a baby.
    Anonymous

• My 3 year old is 35 pounds.....
    Sunshine38585

Answer by Sunshine38585 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• my DS is 2 and weighs around 34lbs and he has always been a big boy since birth and WIC tried telling me he was overweight :/ i dont think he is...but if he is on whole milk i guess that does put on some pounds f(from what wic told me anyway) but if u are concerned talk to his pedi.
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Is he obese? You need to compare height to weight. You can find the charts on line if you don't have them.
    Can milk pack on the pounds? Yes. It can also cause constipation and full him up so he doesn't want to eat other foods. He should have no more than 24 ounces a day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2009