Did this happen to you after you had your gallbladder removed?

I had my gallbladder removed 4 months ago and I have had the occasional cramps/diahrrea after eating. But it was really only if I ate mexican food or a meal that had a lot of fat. But now its everytime I eat. Well I dont get diahrrea all the time but I get intestinal cramps everytime. It always feels like when you get cramps during your period. Its really painful and I cant eat much because I dont feel well. It doesnt matter if the meal has a lot of fat or no fat. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Health

• Oh my gosh yes! I had my gallbladder removed a year & a half ago, & I've just had to accept I'm going to need to be near a bathroom after eating. I pop Immodium like they're candy. When I asked my doctor about it, she said that's just how it is, & I've heard the same thing from others who've had their gallbladders out.
    susanb1229

Answer by susanb1229 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• All I can say... unfortunately.... Get used to it.
    Mine was constant & a nightmare for well over a year.

It's better now, but still more frequent than "normal".

Eventually, your body will adjust somewhat & you'll learn what not to eat.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thanks for the your answers ladies. I was just scared that it wasnt normal because my cousin had hers out 8 years ago and she told me that she never has had a problem. I thought maybe something was wrong with me
    Anonymous

• My gall bladder was removed about 12 years ago and I still have this problem. Like susan mentioned, a nearby bathroom becomes a necessity! We have a friend who likes to take us out to eat every so often, to a place called golden corral,...That place is the worst for me! I can't even make it home without having to stop to use the restroom. I finally learned that sometimes you just gotta eat less, or hit the restroom before leaving the joint!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It sounds like IBS, and yes it is normal. I asked my doctor about it and he said that it is very common to develop IBS after this surgery. I had mine out a year ago, and there are some things that you can do to help it. Research IBS, you may find something that works for you.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I take a medicine called Welchol and it has been a godsend! Without it I wouldnt be able to function. I was running to the potty constantly.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2009