I started pottytraining but just a little succeses do i postponed it for later?

my daughter is 10 days alway from turning two but i started pottytraining her a week ago I don't see that she's that ready because she won't tell that she has to go what can i do wait a little longer or go with it? :(

alani226

Asked by alani226 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think maybe you should wait a bit longer.
    Anonymous

• I would wait until she shows an interest, my son turned 3 in nov, and still isn't fully trained. They won't get the hang of it until they are ready. Once she shows interest and finally does the first pee make a huge deal out if it and just praise praise praise. Try to be very patient, because your frustration will show.
    mikeyjavimami21

Answer by mikeyjavimami21 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• From what I've read, MOST kids won't tell you they have to go until 2.5 or later. Try to remember, if she hasn't figured it out yet, she will soon... every time she has to go, she also has to stop playing. Why on earth would any intelligent kid voluntarily QUIT playing to go use the potty? It takes a long time for kids to realize that the toys will still be there when they come back.

So, should you wait that long?
    Only if you want to. You can also keep going and take her on a regular schedule. As she gets better at going, you'll also be able to spot the "potty dance" and know that she has to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• If you start too soon, you will have a long, protracted training period with lots of "accidents". If you wait until the child is really ready to communicate that she has to go, and actually want to use the potty, you will have a shorter training period. I always read that the child should lead the way when it comes to potty training. If you train the child too soon, it is really more like you are the one who is trained because you watch them and schedule them....and try to catch them before they have an accident. When it comes to potty training it is about the child having control, and if you start too soon you will be taking all the control instead. The child should be letting you know she is clearly ready before you really take it on. This should be her thing!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2009