Sleeping issues with my 15 month old....

My son who has basically slept through the night since he was 7 months old is now deciding that anywhere between 4am and 5:30am is a good time to wake up. He has his i-teeth on the bottom coming in so this might have something to do with him waking. He wakes and wants to play and nothing I do can get him back to sleep. I have also found that hehas started to want to go to bed later (around 8pm or 8:30pm). Could this maybe be due to him getting older?
Not really sure how to nip this one in the bud. Any ideas or anyone have this happen to them?

IsaacMom2007

Asked by IsaacMom2007 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 15 months as well. She too likes to wake up around 4:30-5:30. The only difference is she goes to bed around 9:30-10, she will wake up but will ONLY fall back asleep when I am sleeping with her. I think it's the teeth, hers are coming threw as well, and I think your baby feels the same way as mine, the comfort of there mommy!
    RyleeNMama

Answer by RyleeNMama at 12:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i havnet had issues like that my son has always been an early riser and he wakes up around 6ish or so and sometimes earlier but goes to bed at 7pm and sleeps all night...so are u wanting him to stay asleep longer in the mornings? I am not really understanding the question but he could be waking because of is teeth...
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yes, I would like him to stay sleeping longer. He was always a good sleeper going to bed about 7ish and waking around 6:30 am or even as late as 7:30ish.
    I think he is not getting enough sleep. He goes to bed around 8pm and is waking anywhere from 4am to 5:30am. I would think he needs more sleep than that.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Most kids need 10 to 12 hours of sleep so if he's not getting at least 8 hours at night with a 2 hour nap in the day then he isnt getting enough sleep. I'm not really sure how to solve your problem. Maybe increase his physical activity during the day. Sorry i'm not much help.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Heh heh...Yep. No matter when I put him to bed, up before dawn. NOTHING worked accept to stop worrying about it. When I did that, he started sleeping at least till dawn.

He's still not much of a sleeper, but neither am I. I'm useless with more than six hours of sleep a night. Less is more for me. Some of us are wired to defy the sleep studies.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• It's the teething. If he won't go back to sleep with you, it may be time to transition to his own bed and that will be a nightmare! It can be done though. He just can't wake up in the wee hours and mess up your sleep too. I hope this is short lived! Good luck to you!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• If 8pm is going to bed "later" for him, then what you have here is a child who is being put to bed too early..
    I always find it amazing when moms put their kids in bed at 6 or 7pm, and then complain that they wake up 10 hours later.. Seriously, how long do you WANT them to sleep?
    Put him to bed later, and you will get more rest.
    This is not a problem with your child sleeping, it is a problem with you staying up too late after he goes to sleep and being tired in the morning. How about you try going to bed at 7pm- you'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed at 5am, too!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Personally, my kids go to bed around 10:30pm. They get up anywhere between 9:30am (on a reeeaaaally EARLY day!!!!) to 11:30am.. You don't hear me complain about loss of sleep, even if I head to bed around 2am, myself!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would think that maybe the child is getting enough sleep at night. Does he also nap? Maybe you could try putting him to bed a little later. Who knows....it might not work, but it could. I know sometimes I wake up at 4 or 5 am myself when I go to bed at 9 or so. Babies do need more sleep but not necessarily 12 straight hours.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:31 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I have tried putting my son down later and he still wakes early plus, after 8 pm he is miserable and tired. If you have children that can stay up later that is great but that does not work for my son. After 8 pm all we have is a cranky baby who wants his cribs.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2009