I want to stop breastfeeding my 6 mo old, but I feel guilty. Any advice?

I work full time and I've stopped pumping at work to diminish my milk. My baby is not happy about this and does not seem to want to stop nursing. This is my last child and I'm feeling a little guilty about stopping. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Society has a tendency to put the guilt on us...Don't feel guilty. You've given your child a wonderful gift, and 6 months is better than most. I wasn't able to breast feed. I tried for 5 days and my son ended up in the hospital with jaundice, dehydrated and having lost too much weight. You wanna talk about guilt...and there were those who were still insisting I had to breastfeed!! Well, almost nothing came out...no matter how much I pumped, I was lucky to get 1 ounce a DAY! So, guilt is not necessarily something you feel because you're doing something wrong...it can be because of pressure to conform to the beliefs of others. You do what works for you and your child and be proud of your accomplishment! And, trust me, your child will not grow a third eye, drop 10 i.q. points, or grow up resenting you for it. You can still bond while bottle feeding or during other moments. You will both be fine. :)
    pandora1988

Answer by pandora1988 at 4:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Don't feel guilty even though some moms on here will. You need to do what is best for you and baby. It's not always easy going back to work and then have time to pump. If you just try to breastfeed before work and after maybe that will work. Whatever you decide, no guilt should come from it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• What about just nursing at night before bedtime? That way you won't have to pump but you will still be giving baby some of your nutrient filled milk. :) Just an idea.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Do you want advice on how to stop feeling guilty, or how to wean your baby? I'm not sure how to wean, because we are still breastfeeding at 6 months and will probably go past a year. My advice to help stop feeling guilty, just tell yourself you gave your baby the best possible start in life and that was a great thing. I'm sure you will get tons of other moms telling you not to stop and you should feel guilty and blah blah blah. Don't listen to them. Only you know whats best for you and your baby and if you feel that this is it, then thats your decision.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• oh mommy. You have nothing at all to feel guilty about. Being a mom how ever many times you are one, you know how much is involved no matter working away from home or in home. Everything we do is what makes us good not only if we breastfeed or not. I breastfeed only both of my older kids will table foods and continued nursing past that. My third I didn't have enough milk for, had to nurse and bottle. Maybe try too mixing your milk with some formula so get baby more used to formula? You have nothing to feel guilty about nothing at all. Will baby take a pacifier for that exxtra sucking time that our baby do when a nursing session is done? Relax, you're a good mother.
    Anonymous

• Less than 25% of babies are nursed till 6 months. You've still done great! Only 12 percent make it to a year. Don't feel guilty!
    Anonymous

• I felt the same way. I just told myself I could make it to six months and then stop (I was exclusively pumping), then when six months came along I felt guilty so I told myself I could make it another month. I did that for a few months and then decided it was time to stop. Turns out that he was allergic all along anyway, so really I wasn't doing him any favors by continuing to pump! He's 16 months now and is on Elecare hypoallergenic formula. You made it this far so you should be really proud of yourself! Perhaps you could just nurse before bed and first thing in the morning if you want to keep going?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Don't Feel Guilty 6 Months Is A Long Time. Maybe Your Baby's Formula Isn't As Sweet As Your Breast Milk And That's Why Your Baby Doesn't Like It As Much. I Know I Will Get Hate Mail For This One But If You Can't Find A Formula Your Baby Likes Add Some Sugar To Your Baby's Bottle To Sweeten It. You Can Wean Your Baby Off The Sugar As Soon As The Baby Gets Used To The Formula.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 12:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• If your instinct is telling you something you should listen. There is a reason for guilt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I think you should ask yourself why you feel guilty. Do you feel guilty because other mothers are putting pressure on you? Or do you feel guilty because you know it is best for your baby and aren't ready to stop yet? Pumping is very hard work but there are things you could do to make it easier on you. You can give baby formula or donated breastmilk while you are at work and either not pump at all or pump as much as you can and fill in the gaps with formula and solids. You can continue to nurse your baby when you are not working so you both have that bonding time and she gets the best nutrition at least 1/2 of her day.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2009