My 5mnth old son has a cold.....

does anyone have any home remedies??? to make him feel better and to help him get better??

DessaG20

Asked by DessaG20 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have any home remedies, but when my baby was sick we used Johnson and Johnson's soothing vapor bath and Vick's baby rub. Do you have a humidifier? we used one when he was sick and it seemed to help. If you don't want to use the vapor bath, just being in a steamy bathroom can sometimes help with congestion. You could also try saline drops for his nose and a nasal aspirator. I hope he feels better soon.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• humidifier and saline drops
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Tsp. Honey In Warm Water In The (8 oz.) Bottle Helps Soothe The Cough And It Helps With Sore Throats (Recommended By My Ped. Two Weeks Ago) Also Try Turning On The Shower And Let The Bathroom Steam Up Stay In There With Him For 15 To 20 Minutes.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 12:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• "Tsp. Honey In Warm Water In The (8 oz.) Bottle Helps Soothe The Cough And It Helps With Sore Throats (Recommended By My Ped. Two Weeks Ago) Also Try Turning On The Shower And Let The Bathroom Steam Up Stay In There With Him For 15 To 20 Minutes" Quoting Kari Noelle.

.Honey should not be given to children under 1 year due to the very high risk of infant botulism. Their digestive tracts are not mature enough and do not have the right amount of good bacteria in their bodies to fight the botulism. It is very dangerous to give honey in any form to a child under 1.

I have found that a humidifier works the best when my son has a cold. Also the Vick's Vapor Bath works really well, just don't let him drink the water. ;-) Baby Vicks on the feet, chest, and back also help. If he is cranky or has a fever, infant tylenol can be used. I believe Motrin shouldn't be used until 6 months of age.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We used vicks vapor rub, a humidifier, saline drops, tried the shower, aspirator, tylenol, EVERYTHING! It didnt go away... They tested him for RSV and it was negative. So they put him on a breathing machine every 4 hours with Xopenex.. It worked MIRACLES!
    aneely08

Answer by aneely08 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2009