What to tell my 6 yro about where babies come from?

I have a six year old little boy and now I am pregnant with number 2. Well lately my son has been asking me how the baby got in my tummy and how is he going to get out. I'm not sure what to say so I change the subject. I need help.

Jesela25

Asked by Jesela25 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Answer his questions directly, using anatomically correct words. There are lot of books that you can get especially for kids that you can read to him, helping you explain the process.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 11:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I told my son his little brother came from god. That god decided to give you a baby and him a little sister or brother and when it is the right time you will have his little sister or brother. At that age it usually does the trick. Plus while he is at school he is not saying something other parents or teachers would be offended by. When he gets much older he will understand where babies really come from.
    Anonymous

• i told my girls that mom and dad made the baby. i would let them lead the discussion and kind of ask them where they think babies come from first. good luck.
    momof3grls4517

Answer by momof3grls4517 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I'm with the first & third replies here. Let him take the lead in the conversation... ask him what/how he thinks things happen.... and tell him the truth.

You don't have to go into massive details or anything. You can just tell him that moms & dads fit together sort of like 2 puzzle pieces... and when they fit together like that, some of the mommy parts & some of the daddy parts stick together & stay in the mommy's tummy... and those parts grow into a baby.

On how the baby is getting out... you can tell him the dr helps the baby get out. Most kids are happy with that explanation... but if he pushes it, just tell him the baby has a special tunnel he crawls through when he's ready to come out. (It was easier with my because my 1st was my only vaginal birth lol --- I could tell them the dr cut the baby out)

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• There are several books on the market for kids this age. You could start with one of those but be sure to answer all his questions honestly. Make sure he knows that he can always ask you questions as they occur to him. And rememer, in the next couple of years, the girls in his class will start to develop. He'll notice. He'll hear things from older kids at school. He needs to know that he can ask you and that you will tell him the truth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Why are you changing the subject? He's got to know eventually and you're missing teachable moments. Just tell him that part of Daddy and part of Mommy came together to make the baby. If he says "how did part of Daddy get into your belly?" Just tell him Dad put it there with his penis, that's one way married couples love each other and that is how he was born too. Tell him the baby will come out of your vagina. It isn't that big of a deal if you just say it matter of factly.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• We found a great book at the Christian Book Store called The Amazing Beginning of You.
    It combines scientific explanations of sperm and eggs with Christian message of loving parents and God knowing you before you were born, etc. My kids still love that book.
    Otherwise, be honest. Give answers but you don't have to provide details of sex at that age.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 10:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Be honest with your child, it's nothing to be ashamed of.
    notabarbie919

Answer by notabarbie919 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Ok I hear what you all are saying but he is at that age where butt is the funnies word he knows and to say penis he is rolling on the floor laughing. I mean he is little and these words crack him up. Not only that he is at that age where he want to see what girls have and compare it to what he has. I have a 7 yrs old "step-daughter" and well we need to be careful around them because they are always wanting to play doctor or kiss and so forth. I'm not against telling him the truth, but he is the kind of kid that would go to school stand in the front of his class and say guess what I know how babies are made. And well I'm not sure how his teacher or other parents would take that. Most of the books I have read either are way to detailed or not detailed enough for the kinds of things he is asking. Help
    Jesela25

Answer by Jesela25 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Okay... I hear what you're saying. If the suggestions here don't sound like a good option, maybe contacting the school's counselor and asking him/her what the best way to approach it is. Or, how is your relationship with his pediatrician? Maybe you could set up an appt with them and have the dr explain it (or advise you on how to).

There's really no way around this ----he's curious & is going to find out. It's going to come from you --- or it's going to come from some other kid at school who probably has NO CLUE what they're talking about *Oh man... bad flashback to grade school*
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2009