My daughter seems to have nightmares at night. She whines and sometimes cries when she's sleeping. Any suggestions?

She's been having what I think is nightmares since she was about 9 months. She is now 3 years old.

AnalovesBMW

Asked by AnalovesBMW at 11:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• ease her mind before she sleeps. my son is almost 4, and earlier in the year he would wake up having nightmares about monsters, etc. So, I filled a squirt water bottle, (with a very fine mist spray) and let him squirt away the monsters under his bed, in the closet, etc. before bed. A fun way for him to feel confident and clear his worried little head before bed.

also, the doctor told me to make a point to highlight/reflect the positive things that happened that day while going through the bedtime routine and into tucking him into bed. supposedly it focuses the subconscience on positive things. good luck. hope she settles in.

oh, and limit food at night. food digestion keeps the brain active at night and may cause some not so pleasant dreams.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• also make sure you try reading to him before bed, instead of TV because tv simulates the brain and makes for troubled sleep.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much if she sleeps through it and seems well-rested in the morning. But I agree with the above-suggestions also.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I disagree. Consult your doctor about getting a sleep study done. She very well could have a sleep disturbance issue or acid reflux and it could change her life. I was told that my fibromyalgia was linked to a sleep disorder.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My daughter has dreams about crayons and paper. She screams almost every night about it. "CrayonCrayon!" "Paper" "NO!" crying kicking..its strange.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2009