Would hives be all over the body... if your baby is allergic?

I started giving my 5 month old cereal recently, then started on sweet potatoes. I noticed that his back is red, splotchy and has bumps on it - but just his back and some on his neck.

If he's allergic would it be ALL over his body or just his back?

Could it just be dry skin? Or could it maybe be his soap? I might not have gotten all of the soap off his back and it irritated his skin.

Would it be harmful to try feeding them to him again or should I wait?

HELP! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my DD has very sensitive skin at first I thought it was food, but my doctor told me if she was going to break out it would be around her mouth. I hope that helps some
    Anonymous

• have you done anything else differently lately? If not, and it's just the new food, it is possible to be a reaction. Could it be eczema? Many kids get eczema flare ups after eating a food that they can't tolerate. My son only gets his on his upper body (but not face).
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Quit giving him the sweet potatoes, if the rash goes away, give him the sweet potatoes in a week. If the rash is back, it's the sweet potatoes. It could well, be soap, or lotion, or 100 or so other things. It's sometimes hard to figure out the cause of hives. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2009