how to compare school systems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• http://www.psk12.com/rating/index.php?Ads=AdWords

http://www.greatschools.net/
    Anonymous

• OMG that is tough. In hindsight I'd call every school in however many districts which I did plus read all of the websites very carefully and ask questions. Additionally though I'd have them mail me a student handbook. Plus read up in that state's education department on everything too. There are companies that for a charge will research schools for a fee. I used them in addition to my own research and found my own was better. Many schools' handbooks give information that aren't on their general website. So glad I'm done moving.
    Anonymous

• My advice would be to find out WHY a school is labeled as "good" or "bad".

I went to a "5 star school" for 10 yrs. It was labeled as such because of high test scores --- which meant that passing that state-mandated test was ALL we were taught. It was miserable. It's a flippin' miracle I retained any knowledge from all those years.

Then, I went to 3 different highschools --- 2 of which were "poor schools" because of lower test scores --- which meant they didn't give a crap about teaching to the test to get more funding and actually TAUGHT us something --- in a fun & memorable way.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You can get personal views and ratings at www.greatschools.net.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2009