Do you think it is disrespectful when newscasters and people just refer to president-elect Obama as Barack?

lynnem1211

Asked by lynnem1211 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it just makes the newscaster sound ignorant. He doesn't personally know President-Elect Obama. In polite company you don't call people you don't know by their first names or unless they are family or if they are children or working for you in a rather intimate position like a nanny, home nurse, etc. Either the newscaster doesn't know the nuances of fine manners, or they are arrogantly assumptive of a familiarity to which they are not entitled.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• no, but what about "dubya"? many disrespectful moms on here call the President "dubya".
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Nope, I don't. Its his first name. We've been referring to our presidents by their first names for decades. Why stop now?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Thundernlight, I do not believe that is right, either. I believe, even if you do not like the man, you should respect the office.
    lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• He's the President elect and should be addressed as Mr.President or Mr.Obama. Period.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 12:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I've always referred to the president as President Clinton, President Bush, etc or simply by his last name. I don't recall ever referring to a president by his first name.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• No, he's not the president yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• why would that be disrespectful?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• If you're hearing it from newscasters, it's a violation of the standards of many stations.

On first reference, a sitting president is called "President George Bush" or "President Bill Clinton" and so on. On subsequent references, they are "Mr. Bush" and "Mr. Clinton" or "the president." Sometimes even "the commander in chief" if that title is germane to the story.

Mr. Obama is correclty referred to as "President-elect" Obama until he takes the oath on Tuesday.

It's respect for the OFFICE...whether or not you respect the current title holder.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Not a big deal he is not the President yet. Once he is President I am sure they will call him President Obama. People need to get a grip. The Chosen One has been treated more than fair by the media. Yawn.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2009