How many is too many?

I've been having braxton hicks....well i talked to my doc about regular contractions...and hell maybe these are regular contractions..i was induced with my first son and never had ne contractions at all until they broke my water and they were instantly intense! anywho...i've been having a lot of these contractions...in like an hours time how many is too many..and would warrant going to the hospital..i'm 37 weeks and 2 days..2 centimeters dialated and very soft..doc said i could go ne time...i've heard 6 contractions in an hour...and i'm heard 10...but i have no idea what going into labor on my own is like so i'm lost!

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if they come 3-5 minutes of eachother and last about 1 minute, its time to go to the doc : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i was told when they are 3-7 minutes and last for a minute or so. If you feel you need to go in then go I always say it is better to be safe than sorry. The hospital understand if for some reason they have to send you home. Good Luck
    jenke

Answer by jenke at 12:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• my doctor told me if i have 6 or more contractions in an hour to call him regardless of the length in between just to notify him.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Regular "real" contractions will stay consistent and get closer together. For example, mine started out every 5 minutes lasting 30 seconds... they never got more than 6 minutes apart, never lasted less than 30 seconds... within an hour they were every 5 minutes lasting 45 seconds... pretty soon every 3 minutes lasting 60 seconds.
    If they are BH, they will be random... i.e. 6 minutes, 12 minutes, 8 minutes, and so on. I know someone on here said they were told that you can't have more than 4 in an hour or you have to go in, but I had them every few minutes for 3 hours one night and I was fine (as was baby). But to each their own, you have to do what you feel is best for you. I didn't feel the need to wake my midwife up at 3 am to complain about BH.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 1:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Sometimes real contractions can also have random timing. Every woman is different. Usually they will get more intense if they are real, while BH will stay about the same. That isn't always the case either, so feel free to call up your dr if you aren't sure. That's what you are paying him/her for. ;)
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2009