my gums...

i heard during pregnancy your gums get messed up .. well. my gums are starting to get swollen and bleed when i brush my teeth.. so they are really sensitive.. is there anything i can do to relieve this?

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 3:29 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't know of anything to relieve it, but mine seemed to get better the farther along I got. Mine was so bad at first that when I brushed my teeth there would be blood everywhere. My husband was amazed.
    gabismommy

Answer by gabismommy at 3:51 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• make sure you are getting plenty of calcium!!
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 3:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Increased blood flow due to being pregnant. Get the extra calcium and consult a dentist.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:11 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I remeber my gums bleeding instantly when i brushed them, but they do get extra sensative when ur preggo. A pregnant women should always take a visit to the dentisit.
    Jackie0216

Answer by Jackie0216 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My gums were terrible! I even got a pregnancy tumor on my gums that bled all the time-SQUIRTING blood...it was horrible. And it would take forever to stop. I could just take a drink of water and it would start squirting water everywhere...very embarrassing while at work. I had to get it removed by a dentist. I dont know what to do to fix it except go to a dentist maybe?
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:05 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I have the same problem! Part of the problem is extra blood flow, but the real issue is that because of your hormones extra bacteria are aloud to grow in your mouth right now. Gross, I know! What I did was actually get a toddler tooth brush because the have super soft bristles, I also started using a water pic instead of flossing, and I only brush twice a day now and just use biotene mouth wash after meals. Some people get their teeth cleaned at the dentist while pregnant, if you decide to just make sure you ask your ob first, they always want to check for possible heart problems first because if the bacteria from your gums enters your blood they can end up in your heart valves!
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2008