Why breastfeed after a year old?

I was just wondering the benefits of breastfeeding a baby after they are a year

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they still get nutrients from it. its natural.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I learned from my research that immune system benefits are much greater than previous thought for toddlers.  A child's immune system is not fully developed until they are between 2 and 6 years old.  I breastfed my child beyond a year old and he did not catch one illness from anyone around us, even though he was exposed quite a few in our household of five.  I've had three colds since he was born and he never got sick.  Breast milk is amazing stuff and it's perfectly made for the exact nutritional needs of your child at every stage of development during the first few years of life.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• -Healthier immune system
    -Fills nutritional gaps
    -Is amazing for tantrums
    -Most babies just aren't done yet, so you'd have to go through an actual weaning process of convincing them to stop, which usually doesn't go over well, which is why so many moms ask for advice. When babies are ready to wean from the comfort and benefits of the breast, they do it naturally..
    Really - the benefits are all the exact same as before a year. Breastmilk never loses its value.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:14 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• * In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    o 29% of energy requirements
    o 43% of protein requirements
    o 36% of calcium requirements
    o 75% of vitamin A requirements
    o 76% of folate requirements
    o 94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    o 60% of vitamin C requirements
    -- Dewey 2001
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 3:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• * Although there has been little research done on children who breastfeed beyond the age of two, the available information indicates that breastfeeding continues to be a valuable source of nutrition and disease protection for as long as breastfeeding continues.

* "Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant."
    -- Mandel 2005

* "Breast milk continues to provide substantial amounts of key nutrients well beyond the first year of life, especially protein, fat, and most vitamins."
    -- Dewey 2001
    kate_jocelyn

• As far as nutrients...why can't they receive what they need from a daily balanced diet of food?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Anon 6:53, they can get necessary nutrients from a balanced diet, but many toddlers are very picky. Plus, breast milk is custom made to your child's needs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• perhaps they are allowed to be picky because if they don't eat their table food they'll just get a hit from mommy later. I wouldn't allow my toddler to be picky, if they don't eat what's offered they don't eat. When they realize they're hungry they'll come around. but offering something else just allows them to skip whatever foods they don't like and then they have a hard time eating a good balanced diet once mom isn't offered anymore because they never got used to those foods. 1 yr is plenty in my opinion. It's fine if others go longer but I don't see it being necessary whatsoever.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• perhaps they are allowed to be picky because if they don't eat their table food they'll just get a hit from mommy later

Totally not the case. I'm on my 5th toddler and they have all been the same as far as foods go. Only my last was still(and is still) breastfed past a year. He's my healthiest child. I offer a wide variety of foods and as my children get older they are wonderful eaters but toddlers will be toddlers. My son is almost two and breastmilk never replaces his meals, he nurses in addition to his meals. The same way a child would if it were any other beverage. I just prefer my child get the BEST.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My point is that if they don't eat, you are still assured that they are getting nutrients. Also, you are assured that when your child is sick, and refusing solid food or even drink, they are getting nourishment. IME, no matter how sick, my children never refused to nurse. It hydrates, and is considered a clear liquid, which is great for stomach bugs.

I think of it as a super vitamin for my 17 month old son. He eats like a horse, but also receives a free, custom made supplement to his diet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 18, 2009