I get VERY mad when I see a parent smoking with a child/children in the car (and the windows closed)

What do you think about that? would you ever do that? Should I mind my own business?? I just think it is a form of child abuse.
what are you thoughts on that?

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 1:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is sad when a parent smokes around their child, no matter what environment they are in (vehicle, home, wherever).
    We are well-educated now as to the effects of second-hand smoke and anyone with common sense would realize the danger it presents to their child(ren).
    I, personally, think that these circumstances should be treated the same as the laws for purchasing tobacco for individuals under the age of 18. If you are going to subject a child to second-hand smoke, then you may as well hand them a cigarette to smoke on their own. They face the same health risks either way.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• say something to them i know its rude but do it.
    i know this is bad but ill admit it and its fine because i stopped.

me and my sister smoked a cigarette in the car and my nephew was in the backseat the windows were down though but at a red light a guy in this car yelled at us and we realized wow how selfish. put out our cigs and never did it again. some people just need a wake up call or something.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I wish I could say something but everytime I see one I am driving..
    THANK YOU for your feed back... you know what .. I will say something the first chance I get.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 1:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• he said it at a red light to us.

i think u should too! i felt so bad :( this was a long time ago... and i still feel bad. but i think i just needed a kick in the ass
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• im a smoker, but i would NEVER and have never smoked with my daughter in the car, let alone with the windows done up! thats just WRONG! its actually against the law where i live to smoke with any person under the age of 16 in the car. so im happy about that!! cuz thats just not right
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• If you live in california it is against the law to smoke with any minor child in the car.

Just throwing that out there :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I'm a smoker, but do not smoke in front of my daughter... we have a room for us to smoke in, that the kids aren't allowed in.. and we do not smoke in the car while they are in there with us... if it's a long ride, we take turns... one will take kid to be changed, while one smokes, and then we trade.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• You are asking what I think. I think it isn't my or your business.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• What do I think? I think it's a bad idea to do it...but it's none of my business what others do with their kids barring abuse of some sort.

Smoking in a car with a kid isn't abuse. It's not a smart idea, but it's none of my business...nor is it any of yours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I agree that it is a form of abuse. I also feel that CIO is a form of abuse. That being said, there are much worse forms of abuse that are being ignored. Parent's are reaching around their seats to smack their kids in the back seat. Parents are whipping their children with belts and wooden spoons. Its appaling.

I am a smoker and NEVER smoke in my home or in the car. It makes me sad to see parents that smoke around their 5, 6 ,7 year old children. Some parents have their own "rule" that when a child is over 1, that they can start smoking around them. Smoke will still damage their lungs, even when they're 30. Ignorance abounds.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2009