How do you keep them happy during a long trip in the car?

What are some things to keep twin 15 month olds occupied in their carseats for several hour drive? Anything besides DVDs? I've already got those ready... but need some more ideas!

Mommy--

Asked by Mommy-- at 3:35 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi there,
    I just came back from virginia(10 hour drive) with my 20m/o. Besides DVDs, we brought some of her favorite toys, music that she likes,stories on tape, crayons and a coloring book, 12 duplo blocks,picture flash cards and lots of snacks. She slept for the first 3 hours(we left at 4:30 am) Watched a dvd, and then played with various toys. Since it is just her I was able to get in the back seat with her and play when she wanted to. But for the most part she played by herself. We also stopped 3 times to let her get out and run around. She did great. She slept on and off for most of the trip. Hope that helps.
    abbysmom1025

Answer by abbysmom1025 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I always sit in the back, and try to entertain him with books, flash cards, games, etc. I also bring snacks and drinks for him.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 4:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Puppets work great, and if you don't mind the car getting dirty (you can lay trash bags down on the floor and take them right out when the kids are done and also put bath towels down on the seats before using the car seats so that you can lift all the dirt out when they're done), so does Play Dough and all the little gadgets that go along with it....it helps to have a fold down tray attached to your seats so that the kids can use them to do their "in car" projects on. The July issue of Family Fun magazine also has some good ideas to keep older kids happy....some of them may also be modified and work for little ones too....I haven't tried any of them yet, so I can't comment on them.
    Joy-Joy1975

Answer by Joy-Joy1975 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• We (my parents, and then first hubby and I) always got the kids nice and comfy and sleepy and then left, taking turns driving thru the nite...of course this only works if there will be someone to be awake w/them when you get there!! I get so carsick that this was our only option
    mrscush

Answer by mrscush at 5:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2008