my 8 year old is going on a field trip to pittsburgh?

my sons class is going on a field trip to pittsburgh, pa which is about an hour from our house. the last few field trips ive went on with the same school a child or 2 got lost a few times.the last time the teachers didnt even know they were missing until a worker at the facility walked up with them. they dont seem to want me to go even if i drive behind the bus. should i let him go?

mom0222

Asked by mom0222 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would go and chaperone. I would be curious why they don't want you to go? Our school is always more than happy for parents to come along.

Answer by missanc at 3:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2012

• I (singular) wouldn't

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2012

• Are there parent chaperones? When our school goes on trips it's usually one parent to 4 or 5 kids. Tell your son to stay with the teacher at all times. I would let him go.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2012

• If it was me? I'm not sure I would... I would talk to the teacher AND principal and find out exactly why you are not allowed to go as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2012

• I would not and I have NOT with my kids on a few field trips. There are parents that chaperone regularly and those that never have. I always wonder if they knew how chaotic and scary it was, if they'd let their kids go?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2012

• I would not let my child go if I wasn't welcome to chaperone and there most certainly isn't any way that they can stop you from following the bus and going on your own. My children have never been on a field trip without me. I can't believe that they are giving you problems about going with them. Most schools welcome as namy parents as they can get. There have been field trips where there wasn't enough room on the bus for all of the chaperones, so we were asked to drive separately.....but I have never been told that I couldn't go.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2012

• i would talk to the principal and let him or her know that i want to go because those teachers have lost kids and that is too far away to trust them... i would let them know that i am driving with my child in the car and i want to supervise the group to help the teachers who lose kids.. :) yeah . dont let that happen!!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2012

• Very strange. I would not let him go without me. If they have seriously had problems losing children- if the teacher refuses again, inform her you will be going to the principal and probably riding with or following behind. I mean it's all you can do- I would think more adults is a very good thing
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 7:50 PM on Feb. 17, 2012

• I don't think so. It doesn't sound like there was enough supervision last time. If I couldn't go, my child wouldn't go.
    dragonfly750

Answer by dragonfly750 at 2:50 AM on Feb. 20, 2012