Nurse/Breast exam, Pinching Nipple!!?!?!

Alright, I have had several breast exams done while I was pregnant. I was kinda uncomfortable with them, but let the nurses explain how they need to be done, where to push and what to feel for. So with my first pregnancy everything went alright. But with my second one, I had a nurse come in and basically start a breast exam, and at the end of it, she literally pinched and twisted my nipple!! I was blown away and felt, dirty afterwards lol. I don't think at all this was normal and wanted to know if anyone else has had this, or was I molested? I know it sounds a little silly, but I am really serious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Health

• That seems a little strange. I'd call the doctor's office and ask that the DOCTOR calls you back, not the nurse. If/when the doctor gives you a call, ask them about it. Ask why it was necessary and explain that there was no attention paid to it. Explain your feelings. Maybe there's been other complaints or maybe this person needs ot be talked to about her lack of medical attention. Good luck!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I believe some might do that to see if there is any sort of discharge. I believe most self breast exams directions will tell you to squeeze the nipple also. I'm trying to remember if any have ever done that to me. ( I usually just try to block the whole thing out!)

I think Drs and Nurses are so desensitized to thier field that they forget that we may not expect some of thier actions or comments on things we might be sensitive about. She probably didn't think a thing of it and had no clue it made you uncomfortable.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Do they do regular breast exams on pregnant women now? I don't recall that when I was pregnant. I haven't had anyone ever do that during a breast exam and I can see why you were uncomfortable. I don't know....I am curious if others have had that experience. I agree with the previous answer as well.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• In our practice we did not do breast exams on pregnant women unless they requested one during their pap. I have never heard of any doctor pinching the nipple but some will ask you if you ever notice any discharge coming out of them...that's even if your not pregnant.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I would check with the office to see if it is normal practice. The nurse may be trying to check for discharge, but should have asked first.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 6:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I never had one when I was pregnant but when I did have them, they just squeezed it a little at the end to check for discharge. They never twisted or anything though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I AM THE OP: Each time I was pregnant they did a breast exam at least 1-2 times during my pregnancy. The weird thing about the lady, who "pinched me", was she did it at the end and then, really didn't look, it was like the pinch was the "end" to the exam "Alright your done" sort of thing. She didn't pay any attention to the nipple itself other then to pinch it, and it was weird. It didn't feel professional at all. All I know is anyone other then my husband touching my breasts is extremely uncomfortable for me, and now I am paranoid about having another breast exam done.
    Anonymous