• In the Spotlight:

How many naps and for how long?

My 7 month old, sleeps about 10 hours at night and naps on and off during the day, he is a cat napper.........I am trying oh so very hard to get him to sleep for a real nap, but am unsure for how long and how many?
My pedi told me 2hours in the morning and 2 hours in the late afternoon....my mil said he needs to sleep more......
so other mamas out there, what is a normal nap?

franklynnsmom

Asked by franklynnsmom at 2:12 AM on Jan. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my 6 month old sleeps for 11 hr during the night and then takes 3 naps during the day for 2 hrs each nap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• This is one of those cases of "every baby is different"..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Wow, my 4 month old is just sporadic. She wakes up about 3 times after 1am to nurse and I can never get her to sleep before that time. I WISH my baby would sleep for 11 hours and take 3 naps.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Every baby will vary...my little guy is so afraid he will miss something. lol Generally, tho, he takes 2-3 naps totalling about 3-4 hours. He sleeps about 8-10 hours at night, and he wakes up about 1/2 way into his night sleep for a 4 ounce bottle. Keep in mind, also, that teething, being sick, growth spurts, hunger, being overstimulated, separation anxiety, and various other factors can come into play and cause disruption in sleep patterns. I'd say, as long as your baby is not behaving overtired and is sleeping well at night, as long as you attempt to get him to nap, he should be fine.
    pandora1988

Answer by pandora1988 at 4:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Every baby is different, but at that age, mine were taking a nap in the morning and another one in the afternoon.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My son usually sleeps about 6 or 7 hours a night. He has three naps a day. The morning nap is an hour at most, the afternoon nap is the same. He naps after his supper bottle for another hour (6:00ish) and we put him down at 9p.m. Often he fights the evening nap. But, we do play a lot when daddy gets home. Let your baby be your guide. I worried too that I wasn't giving him the rest he needed.
    rbeca

Answer by rbeca at 7:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• my baby is three months and e does this too, he falls asleep at like 6:30pm waking up only to eat untill like 7am and just takes like four little naps during the day...i think its normal
    sweetmelissa451

Answer by sweetmelissa451 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• my 11 month old sleep from 9pm to 7 am and gets 1 nap for about 2 hours!! even when she was younger it was harder to get her to nap.
    sweetheart254

Answer by sweetheart254 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2009